Termite termination causes brush fire

Posted 8/10/15

A young man attempting to burn out termites in a log he was cutting accidentally caused a brush fire on Four Corners Road early Sunday evening, Aug. 9, according to East Jefferson Fire …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

E-mail
Password
Log in

Termite termination causes brush fire

Posted

A young man attempting to burn out termites in a log he was cutting accidentally caused a brush fire on Four Corners Road early Sunday evening, Aug. 9, according to East Jefferson Fire Rescue.

EJFR was dispatched to the fire at 6:29 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 9 after neighbors noticed flames and a plume of smoke near the 800 block of Four Corners Road between state routes 19 and 20, and called 911. Responding firefighters aggressively attacked the blaze and had the fire contained within 15 minutes, according to EJFR.

EJFR Deputy Chief Ted Krysinski estimated the area burned to be one-tenth of an acre.

Fire officials determined that a man and his son had been cutting logs. After learning that one log was infested with termites, the son used a lighter in an attempt to burn them out. The fire spread to dry grass and grew from there.

Navy firefighters from Naval Magazine Indian Island assisted in putting the fire out and later overhauling the site. Two pumpers, one water tender and a brush truck, along with 11 firefighters, responded to the call.

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment