Port Townsend Police respond to possible armed robbery

Posted 7/26/23

The Port Townsend Police Department received a total of 162 calls for service last week...

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Port Townsend Police respond to possible armed robbery


The Port Townsend Police Department received a total of 162 calls for service last week. The Leader selected these from the report. 

Saturday, July 15: At 12:16 p.m. an assault was reported on the 2700 block of Washington Street. The caller stated they were walking through the Port of Port Townsend, when someone they knew slapped them in the head. A suspect was not located.

At 7:19 p.m. a water rescue occurred near the Port Townsend ferry dock. An aluminum boat took on water as waves crested the sides. Four people were onboard. The boat was located after launching a flare. The coast guard made contact for rescue and the boat was towed to shore.

Sunday, July 16: At 8:24 a.m. on the 1500 block of West Sims Way a burglar broke into a shop and brandished a handgun when confronted by the reporting party. The suspect fled in a vehicle before officers arrived. The case is currently under investigation.

At 1:18 p.m. Sunday, July 16, someone was bitten in the face by a dog while at a friend’s house on the 600 block of McPherson Street. Officers responded on the scene but no further action was needed; the dog owner euthanized the dog, due to it being the third time it had bitten someone. The victim received sutures at the ER.

At 7:34 p.m. a small sailboat overturned near the Port Townsend ferry dock. At least two subjects were on the boat. They were able to climb onto the hull until rescued by the coast guard. Officers assisted on the call.

Monday, July 17: At 9:35 a.m. a report of ongoing theft and vandalism (not currently in progress) was called in from the 600 block of Lake Street. Officers responded and offered possible solutions, such as surveillance cameras.

At 1:59 p.m. a subject became very intoxicated and attempted to enter a vehicle on the 800 block of West Park Avenue. Officers were able to secure the vehicle to prevent him from driving. They arranged for support resources.

Tuesday, July 18: At 10:56 p.m. on the 2800 block of Washington Street, a woman tried to enter private restrooms even though she was not a resident. She was told to leave. She then went to a nearby business and began to yell. Officers responded and issued a trespass admonishment.

Wednesday, July 19: At 11:10 a.m. a caller reported that a man on a bike appeared to be stealing copper tubing behind a business on the 200 block of Taylor Street. The caller delayed notifying the police for half an hour. This delay resulted in the subject leaving the scene before officers arrived.

At 1:17 p.m. on the 400 block of 12th Street, five to six juvenile girls were reported causing a disturbance with at least one assault victim involved. The reporting party delayed calling the police for 15 minutes. Officers have since identified a suspect and are forwarding charges to the prosecutor.

Thursday, July 21: At 10:17 a.m. at the corner of Adams and Water Street, an irate male subject on an electric scooter pulled up beside a female driver and began yelling profanities at her. He then rode off with no further issues.