Port Townsend Police Log March 15, 2017

Posted 3/14/17

Port Townsend Police Department officers responded to 295 calls between Feb. 27 and March 12, 2017, including 76 traffic stops, 3 reports of malicious mischief, 9 reports of theft, 5 assaults, 3 …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Port Townsend Police Log March 15, 2017


Port Townsend Police Department officers responded to 295 calls between Feb. 27 and March 12, 2017, including 76 traffic stops, 3 reports of malicious mischief, 9 reports of theft, 5 assaults, 3 animal bites, 4 reports of harassing behavior, 3 disorderly conduct incidents and 1 DUI. Among the incidents that officers responded to, according to a press release from the city, were:

One person was take into custody after officers responded to an individual who reported being threatened by another individual. The incident, which occurred in an area near Blaine Street on March 1 at about 1:50 p.m., is currently under investigation.

On March 3 at about 12:20 p.m., police were called to a residence near Cleveland Street where a vehicle had collided with a fence. The driver was issued a notice of infraction for operating a mobile device while driving.

A man was escorted from Jefferson Healthcare at 6:10 p.m., March 3 for being intoxicated and attempting to pull a fire alarm multiple times. Officers warned the man not to return to the hospital unless he was seeking medical attention or he would be arrested for trespassing.

Police arrested a woman for assaulting a man on a boat moored at the Port Townsend Boat Haven at 10:30 p.m., March 3. After the confrontation, the woman fled the scene. She was later found close by and arrested on suspicion of fourth-degree assault, a gross misdemeanor, and fourth-degree domestic violence. She also was issued a no-contact order and a no-trespass order.

Three men were harassing a business's employees and seen urinating on a building, exposing themselves to female employees and ranting about political issues on March 4. The business is near Jefferson and Clay streets. The men were asked to leave the property, but they refused to do so and became increasingly aggressive with staff, officers were told. Police arrested one of the men and took him to jail.

More than one 911 call was made by neighbors on Cass Street at approximately 2 p.m., March 5, regarding a man believed to be attempting to break into a residence. Officers responded to the scene and detained a man, who was transported to Jefferson Healthcare by medics and then taken to jail for violating a court order.

Officers were called to an apartment building near Third and Workman streets at 8:10 p.m., March 5, over concerns that a man was attempting to break into one of the units. Officers were unable to locate anyone answering to the description given by the caller. About two hours later, at 10:12 p.m., officers again responded to the area, but were unable to locate anyone.

At 11:58 a.m., March 7, an officer responded to a school, where two juveniles had been detained in the principal’s office after being caught smoking on school grounds. One of the students had a vaporizer pen, and the other student had what appeared to be marijuana. Both students were Mirandized, and Juvenile Services was called. The student with marijuana was cited for minor in possession and released to his father. The other student was not cited for a criminal incident. The school is taking disciplinary action.

On March 7 at about 3:30 p.m., officers were called to an area near Kah Tai Nature Lagoon Park, where three males were found with an open bottle of rum. Officers emptied the bottle and warned the men about having open containers of alcohol in the park. One of the men, who had been banned in the past for drinking in the park, told officers he was only there to use the restroom and had not been drinking.

Officers responded to a call at about 8:20 a.m., March 8 from a homeowner on Walker Street who reported a former tenant, who had been evicted, was back at the house. A previous tenant had allowed the suspect to live with him.

On March 8 at 11:47 a.m., officers detained a male found to be making threats and trying to pick fights in an area outside a grocery store near Jefferson Street. The suspect was also seen breaking things in a garden area near the store. The suspect attempted to leave the scene shortly after officers arrived. He was stopped and arrested on suspicion of disorderly conduct and third-degree malicious mischief.

Officers responded to an address on Park Avenue at 1:15 p.m., March 8 after receiving reports of a female making threats, yelling and being belligerent. It appeared she had been smoking marijuana after the reporting party found a cigarette she allegedly had tossed away. The suspect told officers she was waiting for a ride; she was escorted from the area and warned not to return or she could face arrest.

Shortly after 5 p.m. on March 8, officers responded to a grocery store where a person was seen taking two cases of soda pop from a shopping cart found unattended in the parking lot. Apparently, whoever purchased the soda had forgotten to take them off the cart before leaving. The original report that the items had been stolen from the store was unfounded.

At 7:50 p.m., March 8, an officer responded to the parking lot of a store on Sims Way where a car had been struck while the reporting party was in the store. The front bumper of the struck vehicle had nearly been torn off. The driver of the vehicle that hit the car was found to be driving without insurance and was issued a notice of infraction.

Officers were called to a dock off Water Street at about 2:25 p.m., March 9 after receiving a report that a male was seen smoking marijuana in public. The 19 year-old male was given a notice of infraction and released.

On 6:15 p.m., March 9, officers were called to a building near Benedict Street, where a transient male had been sleeping outside. The reporting party told officers this was an ongoing issue. “No Trespassing” signs had been posted. Officers issued a one-year trespass ban to the man for camping without permission. The ban is for the entire area around Benedict Street. The man was then removed from the property.

An individual went to the police department at 9 a.m., March 10 to report receiving voice messages of a threatening nature from a person who said he wanted to punch him in the face. The reporting person did not want to pursue prosecution, but wanted the threats to stop. He also told the officer he was planning to seek an anti-harassment order from the courts. The officer taking the report called the suspect, who admitted to making the calls in a moment of anger. He was told it was a crime to make such threats, and the officer explained harassment laws to the suspect.

Officers responded at 6:26 p.m., March 10 to a building on Hancock Street where a man was found sitting on a bucket, covering his face. The reporting party was concerned the man was a transient and might try to enter the building before it was secured for the night. Officers approached the man, who apparently had been drinking alcohol, and asked him to leave the area. Officers picked up the bucket and asked the man what he had in it. He did not respond, but attempted to grab the bucket back from the officer, who put the bucket back on the ground. The officers declined the man’s request to give him a ride to a location downtown.

A report was made at 6:30 p.m., March 11 to JeffCom 911 about a male harassing customers at a business on Kearney Street. The male suspect was yelling at a customer he insisted was wearing his coat. At the request of the business, police issued a trespass admonishment to the suspect.

Police responded to a restaurant on Sims Way at 6:15 p.m., March 12 to reports there was a fight occurring in the street behind the business. The reporting party thought a minivan had just hit a converted van parked in the street and heard the female driver of the minivan yelling at the male driver of the parked van about getting a restraining order. The two were acquaintances. Both vehicles left the area and headed toward the Port Townsend Boat Haven. The female was yelling at the male driver to stop contacting her and claiming he had hit her vehicle. The male driver told police he had not hit her car but that the female had rammed his vehicle. Officers told both individuals not to have further contact with one another and advised the female to block any unwanted text messages she receives from the man.

Police arrested a man at 8 p.m., March 12 at a residence near 45th and Haines streets on charges of domestic violence. The reporting party called from Portland after her daughter sent her pictures of bruises she sustained when the suspect allegedly hit her. When police arrived at the residence, the suspect had left, but was found a short distance away and arrested for second-degree malicious mischief, domestic violence, second-degree assault and cyberstalking/domestic violence. He was transported to jail.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment