Police Log: Nov. 1 2017

Posted 10/31/17

The Port Townsend Police Department (PTPD) responded to 238 calls between Oct. 20 and Oct. 26, including 3 reports of harassment, 6 noise complaints, 6 suspicious circumstances and 4 trespassing …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Police Log: Nov. 1 2017


The Port Townsend Police Department (PTPD) responded to 238 calls between Oct. 20 and Oct. 26, including 3 reports of harassment, 6 noise complaints, 6 suspicious circumstances and 4 trespassing incidents. Officers made 59 traffic stops. Among the incidents were the following:

Officers responded at 9:30 a.m. on Oct. 20 to a residence on Vista Boulevard where a man was allegedly seen running a hose from his vehicle’s exhaust pipe into his home. When a neighbor spoke to the man, he stated he was using the exhaust to kill moles in his backyard. He stated the hose was never in his house.

On Oct. 20 at 10:56 a.m. a Grant Street resident reported that three tires had been slashed on her vehicle. She stated that one tire had been slashed on Oct. 16, then three more tires were slashed on Oct. 18. No suspects were identified.

A report was filed with police at 11:40 a.m. on Oct. 20 by a man who stated that he had left his iPod in the restroom of a store on Sims Way and another man had taken it. The reporting party followed the suspect to Kah Tai Lagoon, where the suspect threatened him. The suspect said if the man didn’t leave him alone, he was going to tell police that the man had assaulted him. The reporting party told police he wanted someone to verify that he had not been in a physical altercation. Police searched the park, but were unable to locate anyone matching the description. Photos of the suspect were obtained from the store’s surveillance system.

On Oct. 20 at 1 p.m., police responded to a business on Tyler Street where the owner had reportedly just dismissed a former employee and refused to pay him. Neither party had been struck. The man had gone to the business to get his final paycheck and was told it had been mailed to him. The man was issued a trespass admonishment for one year after being asked to leave the building and refusing to do so.

A resident on 14th Street told police Oct. 20 that one tire on her vehicle had been slashed while she was away from home. When she returned to her residence, there were several juveniles near her house who left when she arrived. The reporting party said she heard people talking and that they were possibly intoxicated. There are no known suspects.

Police responded at 3:30 p.m. on Oct. 21 to business on Sims Way where a man reported that a vehicle had just backed into his car in the parking lot. He tried to get the attention of the driver of the suspect vehicle, a gray truck with a camper, and a tire on the front, but the driver left the scene. The victim of the collision said the truck had handicap plates. Minimal damage was found on the victim’s car. Police located the suspect vehicle at Fort Worden State Park. The driver was issued a citation for backing up improperly.

At 4:45 p.m., Oct. 21, police responded to an area on Harrison Street where a transient was reported to be sleeping in cardboard boxes on the property. The reporting party told the man he could not stay there. The man was issued a trespass admonishment for one year and told to move along.

An incident between two men was reported at 5:57 p.m., Oct. 21 near Sims Way and Haines Place, where an intoxicated man behind a business was said to have been thrown by another man. The victim said he needed medical attention. The intoxicated man had been heard screaming before he was taken to the back of the building. The victim was transported to Jefferson Healthcare by medics.

At least two subjects were seen holding picket signs and almost blocking one lane of the roadway at 10:50 a.m., Oct. 22 on Hastings Avenue across from a church. They were advised to get off the road.

A man was arrested for disorderly conduct and transported to jail at 9:10 a.m. on Oct. 23 after police responded to reports of a man yelling and screaming from a third-floor balcony of a motel.

Protesters carrying signs and dressed in costumes were reported in front of a bank on Washington Street Oct. 23. An employee of the bank said the protesters were blocking the drive-through window, causing unsafe conditions. The officer spoke with the individuals about blocking sidewalks and the bus stop. About an hour later, the officer returned to the bank where the reporting party had asked that the protesters be banned from the property. The officer was told that some members of the group had entered the bank and were livestreaming video from the lobby. The group left.

Officers responded at 10:08 a.m., Oct. 24 to a towing company on Logan Street, where a man was attempting to gain access to his boat, which had been impounded. The man had been at the same location the previous day yelling at employees. Police issued the man a trespass admonishment for one year. He left the premises.

At 2:41 p.m., Oct. 24, police were approached by a woman who said she had left her purse on a transit bus. She was taken to Haines Place Transit Center to meet with a transit supervisor, who said the purse had not been found on the bus. The supervisor pulled video from the bus, which showed a man removing the purse. The man was located at a church off Jefferson Street. Two of the victim’s credit cards were found in the bushes a few feet from where the suspect was found. He was transported to Jefferson Healthcare for evaluation and then booked into jail for theft and possession of stolen property. The purse and credit cards were returned to the victim.

Just after midnight on Oct. 25, a man traveling on Sims Way was arrested by police for traveling at an excessive speed, lane travel and driving while intoxicated. The vehicle was towed, and the man was transported to jail.

Police responded at 12:05 a.m., Oct. 25 to an area on Howard Street where the reporting party said he heard the possible sounds of tools being used to access the Goodwill store. He then saw a person’s legs under a semitrailer parked at the back of the store. When officers arrived on the scene, they observed two people removing property from behind the store. One of the subjects was detained after admitting she did not have permission to be on the property or to remove items from the dumpsters. Both were issued trespass admonishments.

Police were called to a store on Sims Way on Oct. 25 at 2:55 p.m., after a caller reported seeing a man lying on the trail between two stores on Kearney Street. The reporting party said he tried to get the man to get up from the ground, but was unable to do so. The man eventually stood up and stated he did not need any medical aid. Approximately two hours later, officers again responded to the same location, where the man was lying on the ground in the middle of the bike trail. He told police he was having a heart attack. Medics were called, and they transported him to Jefferson Healthcare.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment