Police Log: July 5, 2017

Posted 7/4/17

The Port Townsend Police Department responded to 252 calls for service between June 23 and June 29, including 3 reports of burglaries, 2 DUIs, 1 fireworks complaint, 1 hazardous materials …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Police Log: July 5, 2017


The Port Townsend Police Department responded to 252 calls for service between June 23 and June 29, including 3 reports of burglaries, 2 DUIs, 1 fireworks complaint, 1 hazardous materials investigation, 1 call about a motor vehicle theft and 2 calls about people threatening suicide.

Among the incidents were:

At 10 a.m. on June 23, a resident reported that her neighbor on Sherman Street has been going outside at about 2 a.m., yelling obscenities and cursing. She didn’t know if the woman was yelling at someone on the phone or if there was another person present. The reporting party was advised to contact police the next time she heard the yelling and an officer would respond.

Officers arrested a man for violation of a court order at 11:15 p.m. on June 23. The man was located driving on Sims Way, where police stopped him. The man admitted to driving by the address cited in the court order. He was taken to jail.

At 9:45 a.m. on June 24, officers responded to an address on Hastings Street, where a man reported that another man had just pulled a knife on him. The reporting party was at the residence feeding the homeowner’s dogs. The homeowner is currently in jail and had asked the reporting party to take care of his dogs. Officers determined there was a misunderstanding between the two men about who had permission to enter the home. The reporting party said he would likely stay away and not get involved any further.

At 12:15 a.m. on June 24, police were called to a parking area near North Beach, where a vehicle was parked at the corner, blocking the line of sight for cars leaving the area. The reporting party said parking issues have increased at that location, and people are parking on the grassy areas. The vehicle in question, a van, had been parked diagonally on the corner of 58th and Kuhn streets, blocking part of the side road and making it impossible to see into the intersection. A citation was issued to the van’s owner.

Two individuals walking in Kah Tai Lagoon Nature Park were issued trespass admonishments at 4:15 p.m. on June 24 after officers found them to be intoxicated and drinking alcoholic beverages. The man was banned from the park for one month. The officer extended a previous ban issued to a woman for an additional three months.

Officers on foot patrol in Kah Tai Lagoon Nature Park at 4:55 p.m., June 24 arrested a man who attempted to leave the scene when he was asked to stop. The man failed to make it over a 3-foot fence when leaving. He was uncooperative and refused commands issued by officers. He was arrested for trespassing and obstruction. He was taken to the hospital for an evaluation before being transported to jail.

A resident reported his vehicle, a silver 2007 Honda Pilot, was stolen at 7:20 p.m. on June 24. The reporting party had parked his vehicle on Washington Street and from there went to another business a short distance away. He said his vehicle was locked and no one else had access to it. The following day, the man reported that he had found his car. He had forgotten where he had parked it.

Police stopped a vehicle near V Street at 12:08 a.m. on June 25 for traveling 40 mph in a 25-mph zone. The vehicle was a rental car; however, the driver had no documents for the rental. It was discovered the driver had a suspended license out of Arizona. He was arrested.

At 4:25 p.m. on June 25, police were called to the fountain on Washington Street, where several children and an adult were in the fountain with toys and a stick, stirring up sediment. They were told to get out of the fountain, as it was not a wading pool. They complied and cleaned up their mess.

At 9:55 p.m. on June 25, officers were called to an address on Haines Street where an intoxicated male was lying on the ground. He was given a courtesy ride to a boat moored at a Port of Port Townsend marina, where his employer took him on board and told police he would keep an eye on him.

At 11:05 pm. on June 25, a Grant Street resident requested police regularly patrol her neighborhood after she received a phone call from someone stating, “I’m watching you.” Nothing suspicious was seen in the area when officers responded. Patrols in the area are to be ongoing.

A report was filed with the police department by a city inspector at 3 p.m. on June 26 regarding a man seen riding his bicycle through a freshly poured sidewalk near Howard Street. The man was asked to leave the area. Extra patrols were requested. The sidewalk will have to be removed and the cement re-poured at a cost of approximately $3,000.

At 9:30 p.m. on June 27, an officer took a report from a resident near Vista Boulevard who stated loud music and noises were heard at a neighbor’s house where people were playing Wiffle ball. The officer said he would follow up on the complaint.

At 1 p.m. on June 28, a report was filed by a person who found a bicycle that had fallen off the back of a motor home. The reporting party is to take the bike to the police department.

Police responded to Kearney Street at 10 a.m. on June 29 after a vehicle traveling north on Kearney passed another vehicle signaling to turn right onto Lawrence Street. The passing vehicle almost caused a collision, and the driver was issued a citation.

At 5 p.m. on June 29, a report was filed by a woman who said she was getting harassing phone calls from a man she met on an online dating site. She was advised to block the man’s phone number and stop communicating with him.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment