Police Log: January 17, 2018


The Port Townsend Police Department responded to 191 calls for service between Jan. 5 and Jan. 11, including 2 911 calls, 2 burglaries, 3 DUIs and 6 reports of theft. Officers made 54 traffic stops.

The following are among the incidents reported:

A report was filed with the police department at 2 p.m. on Jan. 6 by a resident who stated two glass yard ornaments had been taken from his property on Jackson Street sometime the night before. The estimated value is $100 per ornament. The resident said he is considering installing cameras on his property.

At 8:20 a.m. on Jan. 8, an officer stopped a vehicle traveling on Sheridan Street at 33 mph in a 25-mph school zone. The driver was issued a notice of infraction for speeding in a school zone and for talking on her cell phone while driving.

A report was filed with police at 8:30 a.m. on Jan. 8 by a man who said mail had been stolen from his business mailbox on Washington Street sometime during the previous day. The man said he saw the mail in the box on Jan. 7, but didn’t get it right away. When he went out to the mailbox on Jan. 8, the mail was gone. The reporting party said there might have been a check in the mail along with some bills.

A notice of infraction was issued to a driver traveling 38 mph in a 25-mph speed zone on Cherry Street at 9:40 a.m. on Jan. 8. The driver said his speedometer was inaccurate because he had oversize tires on his vehicle. The notice of infraction was issued for speeding and defective equipment.

A driver traveling on Washington Street at 1 p.m. on Jan. 9 was issued a notice of infraction for using a cell phone while driving.

A man was arrested at 3:30 p.m. on Jan. 9 after he reportedly assaulted a person who stepped onto his boat and hit him. The male suspect then assaulted the victim, who threw several items belonging to the suspect into the water. The suspect was later located near Kearney Street and arrested. He was taken to the hospital for evaluation and then transported to jail.

At 7 p.m. on Jan. 9, officers responded to an area near Fillmore Street where a man was seen setting up camp in a doorway behind a business. The man previously had been banned from the business. He was arrested and transported to jail.

Police were contacted when a man was seen attempting to steal liquor from a store on Sims Way at 3:25 p.m. on Jan. 10. When police arrived, the suspect had left the store but was later found near Sheridan Street, where he was issued a ban from the store and arrested.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment