Police Log

Posted 9/5/17

The Port Townsend Police Department responded to 236 calls for service between Aug. 25 and Aug. 31, including 5 calls about fraud, 4 reports of harassment, 2 complaints of shots fired, 5 incidents of …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Police Log


The Port Townsend Police Department responded to 236 calls for service between Aug. 25 and Aug. 31, including 5 calls about fraud, 4 reports of harassment, 2 complaints of shots fired, 5 incidents of theft and 1 call about threats made.

Among the incidents were these reports from the police department:

Officers responded at 10 a.m., Aug. 25 to the QFC grocery store in Port Townsend, where a man was walking around the parking lot and in and out of the store while yelling at people. He was asked to go home and agreed to do so, but an hour later was found walking in the middle of Sheridan Street. He was transported to the Jefferson Healthcare for evaluation.

At 11:05 a.m. on Aug. 26, police received a report from a woman who said she had received a call telling her to go to the QFC grocery store in Port Townsend and buy prepaid credit cards to pay fees associated with missing a summons for jury duty. The caller claimed to be from the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office and told the woman she would be arrested if she didn’t comply. A QFC employee, suspecting a possible scam, declined to sell the credit cards to the woman until police arrived. The responding officer explained that no government agency would ever demand payment over the phone, and the sheriff department’s caller ID had likely been stolen. The woman received another call while the officer was present. He answered the phone, and the caller immediately hung up.

A woman called police at 4:30 p.m. on Aug. 26 to report that someone had entered her home on Eighth Street through a bedroom window and allegedly taken some costume jewelry and a wallet containing $100. The suspect left a signed note in the house that said he had come by to see if she had work for him and that he would be back. The woman said she didn’t know anyone with the name written on the note and she said her house was locked at the time of the burglary.

At 6:15 p.m. on Aug. 26, a Port Townsend police officer stopped a vehicle traveling west on 19th Street doing 51 mph in a 25-mph speed zone. The driver was issued a citation for second-degree negligent driving.

At 6:45 p.m. on Aug. 26, police stopped a vehicle driving north on San Juan Avenue at 42 mph in a 25-mph speed zone. The driver was issued a citation.

At 10:30 p.m. on Aug. 26, officers responded to Memorial Athletic Field, where a fundraiser was taking place. The female caller said a man and others were taking things that didn’t belong to them. The woman said a drill and an impact wrench were missing. She said she didn’t actually see anyone take the items. A man was heard yelling out on the street. Officers were unable to locate the subject or any witnesses who saw the items being taken.

Police arrested a person at 2 p.m. on Aug. 27 for failing to yield and driving while under the influence. The driver’s vehicle was towed, and the person was transported to jail.

While on foot patrol near the City Dock at 7:15 a.m. on Aug. 27, an officer discovered a woman had set up what looked like a bedroom on the dock. She had a bed, a nightstand and other belongings. The woman told the officer she was just resting. She was told to remove her bedding and clean up the area. She agreed to comply.

Police stopped a vehicle on 19th Street at 10:50 a.m. on Aug. 27 for traveling 48 mph in a 25-mph speed zone. The driver was issued a citation for failure to yield to an emergency vehicle and potential reckless driving.

Police received a report at 10:45 p.m. on Aug. 27 that someone had tried to enter one of the cabins on Battery Way in Fort Worden State Park. The reporting party, who was staying in one of the cabins alone with all the doors locked, said she heard a suspect starting up a van and then heading south. When police arrived on the scene, the female suspect was seen walking away. She told police the van had a parking-brake issue and that’s why she was leaving it parked on the lawn. The suspect had attempted entry to a cabin and two RVs, and changed her story many times when talking to police. It was subsequently discovered that the woman had stolen the van and that her story about the parking-brake problem was false. She was arrested for trespassing and theft of a motor vehicle.

At 6:30 p.m. on Aug. 28, officers responded to a restaurant on Washington Street where the bartender reported that a man, who was intoxicated when he arrived at the restaurant, according to reports, had just driven away in his car, heading toward the boatyard. Police contacted the man, who said he did not drive. He was carrying food items he had purchased. He was arrested for DUI and transported to jail.

Police responded to a call at 8:40 p.m. on Aug. 29 requesting that officers contact eight people who had been seen camping around the city dock for several nights. Officers spoke with the people, who all had camping gear with them.

At 10 a.m. on Aug. 30, a woman filed a report with police stating she had received notification from an area bank that her new account had been approved. The woman said she didn’t have an account with that bank. She reported that she had received a call appearing to be from the Veterans Administration at approximately 9:30 a.m. while she was on a walk. She was concerned that her name was being used to open accounts. The officer told the woman the call appeared to be a scam with the goal being to acquire PIN numbers and Social Security numbers from individuals. It was suggested she contact one of the credit reporting agencies and check her credit report.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment