Police Log

Posted 9/12/17
The Port Townsend Police Department responded to 319 calls for service between Sept. 1 and Sept. 7, including 16 calls about harassment, 1 report of domestic violence and 2 investigations of …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Police Log


The Port Townsend Police Department responded to 319 calls for service between Sept. 1 and Sept. 7, including 16 calls about harassment, 1 report of domestic violence and 2 investigations of hazardous materials. Officers made 105 traffic stops, including 3 for people driving under the influence.

Among the incidents were these reports from the police department:

A trailer came unhitched from a vehicle on Cherry Street at 7:10 a.m., Sept. 1, tearing up the pavement. The trailer and vehicle were undamaged. The responding officer spoke with the driver about proper hitching methods and the use of safety chains.

A silver, single-speed road bike with black handlebars was reported taken from the front porch of a residence on Cass Street at 12:30 p.m., Sept. 1. On Sept. 3, a state park ranger found the bike at the Rothschild House.

Officers responded to a downed power line on Lincoln Street at 5 p.m. on Sept. 1, after a truck hit the line and pulled it from the pole. Traffic was blocked in all directions at Benton and Lincoln streets. The driver said his truck was the legal height and thought the power line might have been low. Jefferson County Public Utility District responded to make repairs.

Two envelopes, torn open and containing bills, were found on the Eddy Street trail at 5:15 p.m., Sept. 1. The envelopes were taken to the return address written on them. The resident of the address said she had put the two pieces of mail in the mailbox that morning with checks. The checks were missing from the envelopes.

A resident on Jackman Street contacted police at 6:30 p.m. on Sept. 1 to request extra patrols in the area, reporting that someone had been siphoning fuel from vehicles.

At 6:45 p.m. on Sept. 1, police stopped a driver who was traveling north on State Route 19 at 70 mph in a 50-mph speed zone. A citation was issued to the driver.

Officers stopped a driver at 7:35 p.m., Sept. 1 near Nesses Corner Road for traveling 37 mph in a 25-mph speed zone. The driver was supposed to have an ignition lock in his car because of previous offenses, but no lock had been installed. The driver had no proof of insurance and no valid driver license. He was arrested and transported to jail.

Police arrested a driver at 12:33 p.m. on Sept. 2 for erratic lane travel, following too close and driving under the influence. The subject was taken to Jefferson Healthcare for a blood draw and then transported to jail.

Two subjects were found sleeping on a sidewalk on Sheridan Street at 6:50 p.m. on Sept. 2. They were advised to stop sleeping on the sidewalk, where they were impeding pedestrian traffic, and to move on. Both individuals had been drinking.

Arriving home at 6:20 p.m. on Sept. 2, a resident observed someone loading objects into a vehicle from her yard. The vehicle left when she arrived. Two men and a woman were seen taking landscape rocks from the property. The resident said this had happened before. (The report did not indicate where this incident occurred.) She was told that extra patrols in the area would be scheduled, and she was advised to install a camera system.

A driver was stopped at 8:10 p.m. on Sept. 2 for traveling 45 mph in a 30-mph speed zone on Sims Way. The driver also passed a stopped emergency vehicle that had its lights flashing. A citation was issued to the driver.

An officer stopped a vehicle on Rose Street at 9:30 p.m. on Sept. 2 for traveling in the oncoming lane of traffic at 40 mph in a 25-mph speed zone. The vehicle was towed and the driver arrested for DUI.

At midnight on Sept. 3, police responded to a business on Water Street where a driver backed into another vehicle and left the scene. The driver was later found, arrested and transported to jail for DUI/hit and run.

A man was arrested at 1:45 a.m. on Sept. 3 for striking a 17-year-old juvenile. The suspect had been drinking, and witnesses said the assault was unprovoked. The suspect was transported to jail and resource information was left with the victim and his family.

At 9:15 p.m. on Sept. 3, police stopped a vehicle with studded tires on Sims Way. The driver had received a ticket in June for the same offense, and she stated she was working on getting the money to change the tires. The driver was issued a citation for no proof of insurance and a warning for driving with studded tires.

Police responded to an address on Washington Street at 10:15 a.m. on Sept. 4 after receiving a report that the side mirrors had been torn off a vehicle and its tires flattened. An estimate of the damage was approximately $2,000. The owner of the vehicle was planning to have the vehicle towed on Thursday, Sept. 7. A report from another person in the neighborhood was made to police on Sept. 5 stating that additional damage to the vehicle had occurred, including the rear window being smashed.

Officers responded at 5:40 p.m. on Sept. 4 to a business on Tyler and Lawrence streets where men were reported to be walking in and out of the store, “shooting guns inside the store.” When an officer called the number back, an employee answered the phone and stated there was no problem. The person who made the original call to police was seen running out of the back of another business in the area and was found to be under the influence of narcotics. The suspect was transported to Jefferson Healthcare by medical personnel and banned from the Tyler Street business. Approximately two hours later, the suspect again contacted police to report that he believed there was someone at the hospital with a gun trying to shoot him. Against medical advice, the subject left the hospital in a taxi.

At 12:09 p.m. on Sept. 5, a man told police that two bikes, one a pedal bike and the other gas-powered, had been taken over the weekend from an address on Jefferson Street. The man said he believed the bikes were stolen on two separate occasions.

A report was filed with the police department at 2:45 p.m. on Sept. 5 by a woman who stated that a group of people would be staging a peaceful protest against DACA at the Adams Street Park. Officers drove by the park and saw approximately 40 people. No roads or sidewalks were being blocked.

At 11:15 p.m. on Sept. 5, officers responded to a residence on Willamette Street where an altercation was reported. The male suspect was having difficulty staying sober, according to the reporting party. The suspect’s father took a bottle of alcohol away from the suspect, which started the disturbance. The suspect’s father asked his son to leave the house, but allowed him to sleep in the back of his car, parked in the driveway. Police told the suspect that if he did not leave the property, he would be arrested for trespassing and he was warned that if he returned to the porch, he would be arrested. Shortly after midnight on Sept. 6, the suspect attempted to take his possessions from the house and began arguing with his father. He was combative with his father and with police, a report stated. The man was arrested, transported to Jefferson Healthcare for evaluation and then taken to jail.

At 9:30 a.m. on Sept. 6, a request was made to police to patrol an area near Monroe Street where five people were camping in the skate park. Mattresses and litter were found in the area. An officer spoke with a number of people and asked them to clean up after their dog. The area near the park was cleaned up.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment