Police Log

Posted 3/28/17

The Port Townsend Police Department responded to 209 calls for service between March 20 and March 26, 2017, including 2 drug-related calls, 2 reports of harassment, 3 calls about prowling, 3 reports …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Police Log


The Port Townsend Police Department responded to 209 calls for service between March 20 and March 26, 2017, including 2 drug-related calls, 2 reports of harassment, 3 calls about prowling, 3 reports of suicide. Officers made 76 traffic stops.

Some of the incidents reported below are from a previous week’s reports.

Police responded to a restaurant on Sims Way at 6:15 p.m., March 12 to reports of a fight occurring in the street behind the business. The reporting party thought a minivan had just hit a converted van parked in the street and heard the female driver of the minivan yelling at the male driver of the parked van about getting a restraining order. The two were acquaintances. Both vehicles left the area and headed toward the Port Townsend Boat Haven. The female was yelling at the male driver to stop contacting her and claiming he had hit her vehicle. The male driver told police he had not hit her car but that the woman had rammed his vehicle. Officers told both individuals not to have further contact with one another and advised the woman to block any unwanted text messages she receives from the man.

Police arrested a man at 8 p.m., March 12 at a residence near 45th and Haines streets on charges of domestic violence. The reporting party called from Portland after her daughter sent her pictures of bruises she sustained when the suspect allegedly hit her. When police arrived at the residence, the suspect had left, but was found a short distance away and arrested for second-degree malicious mischief, domestic violence, second-degree assault and cyberstalking/domestic violence. He was transported to jail.

Officers responded to an altercation on Jackman Street at 4:22 p.m. on March 20. One of the men involved walked away from the scene and was located by an officer moments later. The man told police the other person came at him aggressively; he said he was not interested in pursuing assault charges. The second man left the area in his vehicle. He was found in the parking lot of a grocery store on Sims Way and arrested for possession of a controlled substance, unlawful possession of a dangerous weapon, driving without a license and failure to transfer a vehicle title within 45 days.

A man was heard calling people names at about 4:50 p.m., March 20 at an area off Kearney Street. Police responded to the scene, where the reporting party said the man was very aggressive toward him because he wouldn’t give him any money. The man was advised by police not to swear at people if he was going to panhandle.

A transient man was found living next to a trail in an area off 10th Street on March 22. The reporting party called police when he saw two young children walking down the trail alone. He did not see the suspect approach the children, but he said he was afraid for their safety. The transient man had been in the area for at least three days, according to police. He was warned about camping on hospital or city property.

Police were called to a store off Sheridan Street on March 22 in response to reports that a man was in the area asking people for money and being aggressive with customers. He had been asked to leave multiple times, officers recalled. A trespass admonishment was issued, and the man was given a ride to a bus stop down the road.

Police responded to an address near Park Avenue on March 23 after receiving a report that a woman was intending to drown herself. She had written a suicide note and had given away all her belongings. She was not being violent with anyone, had not harmed herself and was not intoxicated or using drugs. She was taken to Jefferson Healthcare hospital.

Two businessmen came into the police department on March 23 to report they had been victims of a phishing scam. One of the men said he had inadvertently wired more than $2,000 to a fraudulent email address in Virginia. He had contacted the local bank he does business with, but the funds had already been withdrawn. Both men understood these types of crimes are almost impossible to trace or track down, and only wanted to report the crime and obtain a case number to give to their local bank.

At 11:38 p.m., March 23, police were called to an area on Umatilla Avenue after receiving reports of a man crawling on the road. Police spoke with the man, who said he had been having back trouble and that’s why he was crawling. Officers offered to call for a medic unit to evaluate him or would give him a ride to the hospital. He refused both. He admitted to being in drug court and appeared to have used methamphetamine recently. When he was searched, no drugs or paraphernalia were found. The man also said he was having some family problems and could no longer return to his home as a condition of his release.

A man got into his car on the morning of March 23 and noticed items in his car had been disturbed and some items taken. His car was left unlocked the night before. He called police to report the incident. He noted that a Bluetooth radio transmitter and a USB drive had been taken. He also said he had a pair of binoculars that might have been stolen or he may have left them in his house. Approximate value of the items, including the binoculars, was estimated at $800.

Police responded to an area near Thomas and McPherson streets at 10:28 p.m. on March 24 when someone called to report that a light pole and yield sign had been knocked down by a big rig. The vehicle was found a short time later at the mill. Officers stayed on the scene until Jefferson County Public Utility District employees could safely remove the pole.

Four transients, seen on Sims Way near Sheridan Street at 11:44 a.m. on March 25, were thought to be panhandling, according to the reporting party, who asked that the transients be removed from the area. One of the subjects was wanted on a warrant for vehicle theft.

A resident contacted police at 4:30 p.m. on March 25 to report that workers of a lawn care company hired by the landlord did not come to the door or give any notice they would be working in the yard. The resident wanted to report them for trespassing. He was told to contact the landlord and discuss the issue.

A woman said she observed a man attempting to break into her Jeep in the parking lot of a store on Sims Way. She said the man ran toward her and punched her in the eye.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment