Police Log

Posted 6/20/17

The Port Townsend Police Department responded to 198 calls for service between June 9 and June 15. Officers conducted 14 foot patrols, took 1 complaint about fireworks and 4 reports about theft and …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Police Log


The Port Townsend Police Department responded to 198 calls for service between June 9 and June 15. Officers conducted 14 foot patrols, took 1 complaint about fireworks and 4 reports about theft and made 41 traffic stops. Among the incidents reported by the police department were:

Officers were called at 3:50 p.m. on June 11 to a residence near E Street, where a person called to report that an abandoned vehicle had been left on her father’s property, unlocked, with the keys in it. The vehicle had been there for several hours. Officers discovered it was a car rented by a man in town for a class reunion. The reporting party was asked to contact the police if the driver returned.

At 9:25 a.m. on June 12, an officer responded to a residence off Jackman Street where several vehicles had been hit with eggs the night before. None of the vehicles incurred any damage.

Police officers were called to an area on Water Street at 11:50 a.m. on June 12 after a man was reported to be yelling and screaming about drugs. Officers were unable to locate the man after they arrived on the scene.

Officers responded to a traffic collision on Benedict Street at 11:57 a.m. on June 12 where a truck, pulling another vehicle, lost the vehicle and then rolled onto a parked car. There were no injuries.

A woman walked into the police department at 4:50 p.m. on June 12 to speak with an officer about an ongoing property dispute with her neighbor. Part of the dispute involved the woman’s neighbor building an 8-foot fence and improperly attaching it to her fence, causing it to flap in the wind.

At 4:35 a.m. on June 13, officers responded to a disturbance at a residence on Grant Street where someone reported hearing a gunshot. Officers discovered that an intoxicated man had fired a pistol and had made his way out of the house to his car. The officers called for backup. The man resisted arrest, according to reports. Two officers were able to restrain and handcuff him. He said he had fired a gun accidentally and told officers where his other weapons were kept in the house. He was booked into the county jail for unlawful possession of a firearm, reckless endangerment for firing a gun in a residential neighborhood, obstruction of a law enforcement officer and for giving police a false name.

At 6:15 p.m. on June 13, several people called to report a man standing in the roadway on Sims Way, south of Howard Street, throwing bottles. The man failed to stop walking when police approached him. He was detained. The man had recently been released from jail on a charge involving alcohol consumption. He had been told not to commit additional alcohol-related offenses.

At 6:50 a.m. on June 13, an officer responded to a business on Kearney Street where a transient was sleeping behind the business. The subject was told to move on, but the person left personal items behind. An employee was told she could either secure the items left behind or treat them as abandoned property.

Between 7:35 and 8:10 a.m. on June 14, six vehicles were stopped and the drivers given warnings for speeding in a school zone near Sheridan Street.

Officers responded at 9:40 a.m. on June 14 to the Haines Place Park and Ride, where two men were found pushing one another. A woman was attempting to separate the two. The younger of the two men involved in the incident picked up his bicycle and left the area. When police spoke with him, he refused to answer questions. The two men and the woman reunited in the Safeway parking lot in a friendly manner.

At 12:20 p.m. on June 14, a resident near Harrison Street requested that police patrol the area between 11 p.m. and 1 p.m. A person driving a white Ford Focus has been driving by the resident’s window with music blaring and sometimes stopping near the residence. The person requesting the patrol was told to call 911 when the car is at his residence and the officer said he would generate a patrol request.

A local restaurant owner contacted police at 12:30 p.m. on June 14 when she discovered approximately 80 empty beer bottles in the freezer on the previous Friday, possibly stolen from the restaurant. The beer was allegedly consumed in the walk-in cooler, then the empty bottles were thrown under the shelves in the freezer. The owner said she plans to install a camera in the cooler.

Officers responded at 11:30 p.m. on June 14 to a call from a resident near Lincoln Street who said a man was at her door, texting her. She responded to his text messages, but did not agree to meet up with him. She was given information about the Dove House Advocacy Services and advised to seek an anti-harassment order. Officers contacted the man and advised him to cease texting the woman and he agreed to stop.

At 7:40 p.m. on June 14, officers were called to a business on Water Street where someone called to report an employee had pulled a knife on him and threatened his life. The parties involved were interviewed. Both parties stated they wanted to avoid criminal action. It was determined that no assault occurred. The male subject who made the threats was given a trespass admonishment.

A man reported at 7:32 a.m. on June 15 that items had been taken from his van on Van Buren Street during the night. Items taken include a Bosch router and Panasonic digital camera in a black leather case. The router is quite large and not likely to have been taken by someone on foot.

Officers responded to a call from an employee at the Food Co-op at 7:47 a.m. on June 15 who reported a man sleeping behind the building. The man was issued a trespass admonishment for one year.

Police were called to Aldrich’s Market on Lawrence Street at 12:45 p.m. on June 15 after an employee reported a person had taken some beef jerky without paying for it. The minor admitted to taking the jerky and said he didn’t have any money. He was issued a trespass warning for six months and released to his mother.

At 3:15 p.m. on June 15, police responded to a call from a person on Polk Street who reported that a U-Haul truck had been parked across the street and had not moved for a week. An officer contacted the person who rented the U-Haul, who stated the vehicle had not been there for a week. The truck was blocking the southbound lane of Polk, and the officer asked the driver to find a better place to park.

Police responded at 4 p.m. on June 15 to an area on Hendricks Street where a man was seen hiding in the bushes shooting a BB gun toward a neighbor’s house. He shot the BB gun a couple of times, according to the reporting party, then wrapped it in a towel and left. Officers checked the surrounding area, including the trails. They were unable to locate the man.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment