Police Log

Posted 8/15/17

Port Townsend Police Department officers responded to 223 calls between Aug. 4 and Aug. 10. Among those calls were 2 incidents of people driving while intoxicated, 2 reports of harassment and 6 calls …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Police Log


Port Townsend Police Department officers responded to 223 calls between Aug. 4 and Aug. 10. Among those calls were 2 incidents of people driving while intoxicated, 2 reports of harassment and 6 calls about theft. Officers also conducted 50 traffic stops. The following are descriptions of some of the incidents:

Officers responded to Jefferson Healthcare hospital at 6:35 p.m., Aug. 4 after a man was reported to be harassing employees and others near the emergency room lobby. The man was agitated when he entered the ER, and when asked to leave, he refused to leave right away, hospital employees said. He finally left the hospital and a taxi picked him up. No crime was committed.

Police were called at 2:30 p.m., Aug. 5 to an area on Water Street where a man was seen with free-speech signs and heard yelling expletives. When officers arrived on the scene, there was no indication he was trying to provoke an assault.

At 5 p.m. on Aug. 5, a request was made for extra patrols to watch for speeding vehicles in the area of F and Cherry streets.

At 6:20 p.m., Aug. 5, employees of a restaurant on Water Street asked for police assistance with a man who was yelling, cursing and acting erratically. The man was intoxicated, and he declined medical aid when it was offered. He was told to tone down his behavior.

Officers patrolling an area near Logan Street at 9:15 p.m. on Aug. 5 found transients setting up tents and building kitchens in a wooded area. A neighbor told police that someone had knocked on her door asking for directions to “the new commune.” The reporting party told police that multiple people appear to be moving into the area and living in tents and travel trailers.

At 10 p.m. on Aug. 5, officers were called to a restaurant on Sims Way where a man was reported to have thrown his food across the counter. He was asked to leave, and one of the employees walked him to the door. He left on his bicycle, riding toward the Boat Haven. The manager on duty asked that the subject be banned from the restaurant and said that police would be called if he returned.

A person driving on Sims Way shortly after midnight on Aug. 6 was stopped for driving with no rear lights and then arrested for DUI. The vehicle was towed from the scene, and the driver was transported to jail.

Two men were detained at 12:47 a.m. on Aug. 6 after being involved in a physical altercation in a restaurant on Sims Way. One of the men was detained after he refused to listen to officers’ commands and attempted to walk away from police. He was then released and told not to return to the restaurant for the remainder of the night. Upon interviewing an employee at the restaurant, police determined that no crime had been committed. The men had been shoving one another, but no assault had actually occurred.

At 7:30 p.m. on Aug. 6, officers responded to a residence on Cliff Street where the reporting party said her daughter’s boyfriend had damaged her barbecue, and she was fearful he would damage her home. The man left the residence, but later returned and attempted to gain entry through the back of the reporting party’s house. The man punched one officer while attempting to flee and resisting attempts to take him into custody. He was later arrested on a misdemeanor warrant out of Kitsap County and transported to jail.

Police were called to a motel on Washington Street at 7:10 p.m. on Aug. 6 after a man was seen dumping gasoline from a can and attempting to start a fire. He was not a guest at the motel. When police arrived, the gas can was found lying on the ground near the motel, and the man was gone. Police located the suspect on Clay Street, and he was arrested and transported to jail. The fire department was dispatched to clean up the gas spill.

On Aug. 8, officers received reports from three residents about mail theft from mailboxes on Haines, F and Fir streets. On Haines Street, a person reported a package had been taken out of a mailbox, torn open and its contents removed. The torn package was left behind. Mail had been stolen from a mailbox on F Street, and a package had been taken from a mailbox on Fir Street during the previous weekend.

A San Juan Avenue resident contacted police at 9:40 a.m. on Aug. 9 to report that her mailbox had been vandalized overnight. The mailbox had been hit and knocked off its post.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment