Police Log

Posted 8/8/17

The Port Townsend Police Department responded to 231 calls for service between July 28 and Aug. 3, including 2 reports of burglaries, 2 DUIs, 1 fireworks complaint, 5 calls about harassment, 3 calls …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Police Log


The Port Townsend Police Department responded to 231 calls for service between July 28 and Aug. 3, including 2 reports of burglaries, 2 DUIs, 1 fireworks complaint, 5 calls about harassment, 3 calls about prowling. Officers made 44 traffic stops during this period. Among the incidents were:

A Blue Heron School employee called police at 6:50 a.m. on July 28 to report finding pieces of mail, torn up and left by a door at the side of the school. One of the pieces of mail was advertising and the other was a bill from Jefferson Healthcare. The officer returned the mail to the address shown on the bill with a note explaining where the mail was found.

A woman who had been banned from a business on Sims Way returned to the business at 6 p.m. on July 28. The woman left the business before police arrived. She was found at her home, arrested and booked into jail for criminal trespass, second degree.

An 18-year-old man saw another man push an older man to the ground, punching and kicking him for unknown reasons near Gaines Street at 3:15 p.m. on July 28. Fearful the male suspect would injure or kill the older man, the 18-year-old intervened to get the male suspect away from the victim. While defending himself, the 18-year-old was able to call 911. The male suspect then fled the scene, followed by the young man who continued to defend himself while on the phone with a dispatch operator. When police arrived, the male suspect resisted officers’ attempts to detain him and began assaulting the officers. One officer incurred minor injuries. The suspect, who exhibited signs of drug impairment consistent with methamphetamine, was arrested for assault. He was taken to Jefferson Healthcare for evaluation. An officer was stationed at the hospital until the suspect was released and transported to jail.

Officers responded at 8:30 p.m. on July 28 to an address on Sheridan Street where an intoxicated woman was refusing to leave a home. When officers arrived on the scene, the woman was agitated and banging on the window of the residence. She resisted arrest and was combative with them, officers said. Medics were called to transport her to the hospital. She was later airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle due to a multiple-drug overdose.

At 8:20 p.m. on July 29, police were called to an area on Howard Street after an individual called to report that horses were running on and off the road. When the officer arrived, no horses were seen in the area.

A man called police at 10:30 p.m. on July 29 to report he had been thrown out of an area business for being offensive to a bartender. He told police he had attempted to pay his bill, but had been told to leave before he could get his credit card back. When his card was swiped to pay his bill, it was declined. An employee of the business said the amount owed was not an issue; the staff just didn’t want the man to return. Police recovered the credit card and returned it to the man. The man told police he was aware of being asked never to return to the establishment.

At 3:30 a.m. on July 30, officers found a man and woman asleep in a tent on the beach. They were advised they were not allowed to camp on the beach, where they also had a small fire smoldering nearby. Officers also found a six-pack of beer in a cooler; in lieu of being charged with being a minor in possession, the man poured out all the beer. The two were informed about the potential repercussions a minor-in-possession charge could have and were told to leave the area by morning.

At 5:50 a.m. on July 30, officers responded to a residence on Foster Street where a man reported there was a strange person sleeping in his guest room. The man told the subject he needed to leave, and he said no. When officers arrived, they found the man still asleep and he was taken into custody. He told police he did not remember entering the house, as he was very intoxicated. The reporting party said he believed the subject had gained access to the house through an unlocked door. The homeowners declined to press charges, and the man was given a courtesy ride to his place of employment.

At 9:46 a.m. on July 30, police were called to a church on San Juan Avenue, where two people were outside the church carrying signs and yelling at those entering the church. The church minister spoke with the people and asked them to be respectful. One of the subjects said they had to “save the congregation.” Officers spoke with the demonstrators, who were on public property and not blocking public access. Both parties agreed to remain neutral and not engage in vulgar speech.

Officers on foot patrol in Chetzemoka Park discovered a small fire near a dumpster at 11:05 p.m. on July 30. The fire department was called and personnel extinguished the fire. Officers found a small lighter near the dumpster and spoke with a woman who said she heard kids in the area earlier in the day. No further evidence was found to suggest malicious intent or evidence of a crime.

A man was found panhandling and digging through the trash at the Safeway store at 12:06 p.m. on July 31. He was asked to leave, but was still on the scene when police arrived. The man was loitering in the area with four others. The assistant manager of the store requested the man be banned from the store and the fuel station for one year. The others were told to move along and they left the area.

A theft of jewelry from a business on Water Street was reported at 3:15 p.m. on July 31. A report was taken by police, and the storeowner indicated there might be video footage of the incident that she will retrieve and give to police.

An officer responded to the Discovery Behavioral Health office at 10:50 a.m. on Aug. 1 after it was reported that a man and his father were having issues in the parking lot. When officers arrived on the scene, they found no disturbance. The male client has some mental health issues, which includes being paranoid about any contact with law enforcement. The officer saw no reason to escalate the situation by contacting the man and advised the mental health staff to call 911 if help was needed.

A man was taken into custody after it was reported that he had taken a can of soda from a store on Lawrence Street at 11:09 a.m. on Aug. 1. He was charged with theft in the third degree. He threw the admonishment and citation into the garbage can when he was released from custody.

At 6 p.m. on Aug. 1, officers responded to a grocery store on Sims Way where a man, previously banned from the store, was seen filling a cup with soda from the machine without paying for it. He was arrested for criminal trespassing in the second degree and transported to jail.

Police stopped a driver traveling on San Juan Avenue at 7:55 p.m. on Aug. 1 for Snapchatting while driving. The driver was issued a notice of infraction for driving under the influence of electronics (E-DUI).

At 2:45 p.m. on Aug. 2, an officer stopped a person traveling on F Street for driving and talking on a cell phone. The driver was warned and provided with information about the new E-DUI law.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment