Jefferson County Sheriff's Log | Something's shady on Shady Lane

Leader news staff
Posted 7/30/21

The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office responded to 318 incidents between Saturday, July 10 and Friday, July 16. Below are selected reports.

At 8:30 a.m. Saturday, July 10 in Chimacum, a …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Jefferson County Sheriff's Log | Something's shady on Shady Lane


The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office responded to 318 incidents between Saturday, July 10 and Friday, July 16. Below are selected reports.

At 8:30 a.m. Saturday, July 10 in Chimacum, a woman wanted to report fraud and a case of possible identity theft.

She was worried about the theft of personal information, including information about her children and their dead father.

Parties not identified had gained unlimited access to her information, she said, and they were taking out no-limit credit cards and buying cars.

When a deputy talked further with the woman, she became irate about being investigated. She started talking about the government taking her codes, and said she was being hacked and was also being followed.

The woman was not making sense. She said she would visit the sheriff’s office, and once there, continued to make irrational claims. The woman also asked to be given the phone number to reach the governor directly.

It was noted that the woman appeared to be using methamphetamine again.

At 5 p.m. Saturday, July 10 in Port Hadlock, a caller reported a theft that occurred that morning at 3:50 a.m.

The caller had video footage and the name of a potential suspect.

The caller said someone she once worked with had visited her home, came onto her property and took multiple items from her front yard. The video also showed the intruder sitting on the woman’s porch and smoking a cigarette before leaving.

The woman said her garden gnomes had been stolen. She also said she wasn’t 100 percent sure she knew the person, but was pretty sure. She offered to put the video on a flash drive and bring it to the sheriff’s office.

The woman called back the next day and said most of the items had been brought back.

She said if the person came back she would call again to talk about a no-trespass order.

At 7:46 p.m. Saturday, July 10 in Port Ludlow, a person reported getting bitten by a dog. The caller said the animal, a black-and-brown Rottweiler, had bitten the caller’s shirt and there was no injury.

The dog was off its leash at the time of the incident, but the owner was present and called the dog back.

The dispatcher said the incident would be referred to animal control.

At 10:49 p.m. Saturday, July 10 in Quilcene, a caller reported suspicious activity involving two vehicles in the area that were coming and going. One vehicle appeared to be following the other without its headlights on.

The two vehicles returned, and one person appeared to have a blow torch.

A person in the other vehicle, also a man, got out and the pair began arguing. One of the men pointed the blow torch at the other, and then the other man threw fireworks at him.

The vehicles were last seen near the end of Shady Lane.

Two deputies responded and could not find the men or their vehicles.

At 12:52 p.m. Sunday, July 11 in Port Hadlock, a mandatory report was made by a mental health provider who said a patient had talked about sexually assaulting two women in Jefferson County three to five years ago.

At 8:49 p.m. Sunday, July 11, a woman said she had fallen into the water and needed help.

She then said she had made it to shore, but her boat, an 8-foot Livingston, had tipped over. Her father had also fallen out of the boat.

Authorities determined the woman was stranded on the rocks outside the entrance to Mats Mats Bay. Port Ludlow Fire & Rescue sent its fireboat to the scene and picked up the pair. The boat was also recovered.

At 10:04 p.m. Sunday, July 11 in Brinnon, a caller reported a mother and daughter who had gone hiking but had not returned.

The caller said he was concerned for their safety, but also said not bringing the daughter home was a violation of their parenting plan.

The mother and daughter had gone hiking to Lena Lake with her boyfriend and his child; both of the children were 9 years old.

The caller said he did not think the group were experienced hikers.

A deputy responded to the Lena Lake trailhead and found the vehicle used by the four.

Mason County authorities were also contacted, but it was determined a search-and-rescue operation was not needed.

At 10:58 a.m. Monday, July 12 in Nordland, a man reported the loss of his driver’s license.

He said he was a full-time resident of Illinois, but had been at his summer home on Marrowstone Island on July 2 and later discovered his license was missing.

He said he didn’t know exactly where he was when the license went missing.

At 11:56 a.m. Monday, July 12, a worker at a Port Townsend clinic reported a patient who had been bitten by his neighbor’s dog on Marrowstone Island. He did not want to report the bite or give his name.

At 8:01 a.m. Tuesday, July 13, a caller reported disorderly conduct at the Chimacum Chevron.

A man was screaming and yelling for unknown reasons.

The caller said the man had been asked to leave but refused. He was currently in the store and was being aggressive.

The caller couldn’t exactly say how the man was acting aggressively. A deputy determined the situation involved two people who live together but also work at the gas station.

One came in at the end of the other’s shift to relieve the worker, who then said he wasn’t going to leave but wanted to hang out instead. An argument ensued.

At 10:53 a.m. Tuesday, July 13, the cash register at Ferino’s Pizzeria was reported missing. 

The cash register went missing Friday night. It contained no cash, and there were no signs of a break-in. Nothing else was reported missing.

It was determined the front door had been left unlocked by accident.

At 3:46 p.m. Tuesday, July 13, a potential case of animal abuse was reported in Nordland.

A caller told an animal control officer that a dog at a nearby property had been tied to a tree, and the person thought the animal had been left there all day and night with no care.

A officer contacted a person on the property, a contractor who lived out of state but was doing work at the house. He said the dog had been sleeping with him inside at night.

The dog had recently started chasing deer in the neighborhood, so the owner had put the animal on a dog run.

No evidence of animal abuse was found.

At 11:11 p.m. Tuesday, July 13 in Port Hadlock, an unwanted person was on a property and needed to be removed. The caller was phoning in for someone else who was afraid to call.

The caller said a man was on the lawn and “acting goofy,” and said detectives were looking for him.

The caller said he was now trying to hide in the bushes.

A deputy contacted the man and told him to move along, which he did.


No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here