A family is picking up the pieces with the help of the local community after a house fire left a family temporarily homeless.East Jefferson Fire and Rescue responded at 3:13 p.m. May 18 after it was …
A family is picking up the pieces with the help of the local community after a house fire left a family temporarily homeless.
East Jefferson Fire and Rescue responded at 3:13 p.m. May 18 after it was reported lights were flickering and a blacket on top of an electric cord on fire.
“Firefighters arrived 6 minutes later to find the single-story, 720 square foot house fully engulfted in flames,” Public Information Officer for East Jefferson Fire and Rescue Bill Beezley stated in a release.
The fire was under control by 3:26 p.m., after it was deemed a total loss by officials.
The three people living in the home were renting the structure and did not have renters insurance, however, the owners of the property did have insurance.
“The cause of the fire is under invesetigation,” Beezely stated.
According to Janet Emery the mother of Alexis Tuthill, who was renting the home, the support from the community has been overwhelming.
“They have already done so much,” Emery said, teary eyed on May 19 of how the community has reached out to help her daughter. “It’s a wonderful community we live in.”
Emery said her and her family could not say enough about the fire district and their fast response.
“It is just all overwhelming,” Emery stated.
Beezley stated the tenants were staying with friends and did not require services of the American Red Cross.
“East Jefferson Fire Rescue recommends that everyone have either homeowner’’s insurance if they own a property or renter’s insurance if they are renting someone else’s property,” Beezley stated.
The county was also assisted by the Naval Magazine Indian Island and Port Ludlow fire and rescue departments.