Port Townsend Police Log | Leave it to cleaver

Leader news staff
Posted 9/29/21

The Port Townsend Police department received a total of 140 calls between Friday, Sept. 11, and Thursday, Sept. 16. Below are selected reports.

At 5:50 p.m4., Saturday, Sept. 11, a theft was …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Port Townsend Police Log | Leave it to cleaver


The Port Townsend Police department received a total of 140 calls between Friday, Sept. 11, and Thursday, Sept. 16. Below are selected reports.

At 5:50 p.m4., Saturday, Sept. 11, a theft was reported at Henery Hardware. A man wearing a white shirt in a wheelchair was observed on video surveillance, and in person, putting something behind him and between his legs. Officers contacted the man outside of the entrance and asked if they could look.

They found a package containing a $35 meat cleaver. When asked why he’d taken it, the man replied that he “just wanted it.” The store declined to press charges, but did ask that the man be trespassed from the store.

At 11:40 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 11, a woman called the crisis line and threatened to slit her wrists.

She said she was bleeding a little, and that she didn’t want any aid. The crisis line confirmed that the woman was under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Officers responded, de-escalated the situation, and took the woman to the hospital of her own volition.

She had scraped her arm to the point of bleeding with a woman’s razor “to see how it would feel,” and admitted she was struggling on dealing with the death of her son.

At 6:30 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 12, a woman reported an assault had occurred on the 1400 block of Sims Way after she asked a man to the leave the store.

The cashier who was present said he had to refrain himself from assaulting the attacker.

The man, wearing camouflage pants, had fled on a bike after throwing hot coffee on her, pushing her to the ground, kicking her, and breaking her thumb. The previous day, the woman had noticed him rummaging through a car outside of the business, and had asked him to leave. The man on the bicycle was apprehended by officers and booked on a charge of fourth-degree assault.

At 9:30 p.m. Sunday, Sept, 12,  a man said his father was making suicidal comments.

The man suffered from health problems, and had access to pain medication, and was saying he wanted “to end it all.” He stated he wanted to kill himself that night or the following morning. The caller said his sister could stay with their father overnight.

Officers responded and determined he did have the intention and means to kill himself. The man stated he didn’t want to end up in a nursing facility. He agreed to go to the hospital voluntarily for a mental health evaluation.

At 10:10 a.m. Monday, Sept. 13, a caller reported hearing their dog bark and a knock on the door.

Before their daughter could make it downstairs to answer the door, a woman opened the door, and peeked in, saying she used to live there. The daughter said “no,” and closed the door.

The caller said there had been other break-ins in the area around the 1300 block of Ninth Street.

At 11 p.m. Monday, Sept. 13, an officer on patrol in the 1200 block of Clay Street noticed a car in a driveway with a door ajar. Upon circling back a bit later, it was still open.

The officer knocked on the door and the woman who answered said she had forgotten to close her car door.

At 11:45 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 14, a man in the 4700 block of Magnolia Street reported an attempted fraud. Someone had tried to write a check on his homeowner’s line of credit. The bank caught the discrepancy, and no fraud was actually committed.

An officer spoke to the caller’s wife, who said the bank was investigating the incident.

At 11:45 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 14, a business owner stated that they’d scared off some prowlers who left the scene in a white “beater” car that could still be heard in the neighborhood.

The business’ motion detectors alerted the caller. A chainsaw and a bicycle were reported missing.

Officers stopped a vehicle matching the description but it was not the burglar’s. The chainsaw was later retrieved; the bicycle, worth under $100, was not.

At 2:30 a.m. Wednesday, Sept. 15, a caller reported loud music. Officers found that the music lover had fallen asleep.

They apologized and turned the volume down.

At 3:15 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 15, a caller reported that her sister, living on the 200 block of Hancock Street, wasn’t receiving adequate care. They said the caregivers wouldn’t give her blood, or bring her mail. She had spoken with the facility about getting care upgrades for her sister.

An officer responded and spoke with faculty personnel and checked in on the woman, who was aware her sibling had called in. She said she was OK, and there was food in the refrigerator and on the table.

At 12:20 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 16, a caller reported that they’d given a woman a ride who was walking at San Juan and 35th Street.

The woman was 7 months pregnant and distraught. She said she needed to get to Safeway and then to the paper mill to retrieve her car.

The caller gave the woman a ride to Safeway, where a couple from the fairgrounds offered to take the woman where she needed to go.