LOOKING BACK

Posted 3/28/17

100 years ago (1917)

A farmer finds six of his cows poisoned a couple of miles south of Nordland. A hastily scrawled note on his barn reads “too many cattle here.”

Only 107 of the estimated …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

E-mail
Password
Log in

LOOKING BACK

Posted

100 years ago (1917)

A farmer finds six of his cows poisoned a couple of miles south of Nordland. A hastily scrawled note on his barn reads “too many cattle here.”

Only 107 of the estimated 300 automobile owners in the county had applied for licenses, leaving almost two-thirds who have yet to make an attempt to comply with the new law.

90 years ago (1927)

With 90 percent of Port Townsend High School girls threatening to attend school clad in pants, a number of boys played hooky for a holiday rather than see such a sight.

35 years ago (1982)

“Now that legal ownership of the Boy Scout Cabin on Morgan Hill in Port Townsend appears resolved, representatives of the Chief Seattle Council want to talk about the property’s future with interested scouters in Port Townsend.” Jefferson County, in support of Scout Troop 479 and Elks Lodge 317, had filed legal action against the Boy Scouts, claiming that the eight lots opened for scout use in 1923 were actually owned by the local scouts. Instead, the court ruled that the property, now valued at $119,000, belonged to the Chief Seattle Council.

The business community wants “Port Townsend to be known as a regional shopping center with historical flavor.”

20 years ago (1997)

A guilty plea on charges of theft and unlawful issuance of bank checks closes a major chapter in the story of former golf course manager and businessman Steve McPherson, who had convinced some of Port Townsend’s residents to invest in the course and then reneged on promises to repay.

“What appeared to be an inevitable march toward a subdivision moratorium in Jefferson County Monday was bludgeoned by builders and rejected by the Board of County Commissioners.”

Jefferson County’s first “Please Don’t Drink and Drive” sign is erected near Chimacum High School, in honor of Pat “A.J.” Jackson, who was killed by a drunk driver in July 1989.

Port Townsend Paper Corp. hosts a public open house to celebrate the opening of its old corrugated container (OCC) recycling facility.

A second round of flooding hits Quilcene riverside properties, with 3.96 inches of rain falling March 17.

(Compiled by Patrick J. Sullivan. Sources: Leader Collection; Jefferson County Historical Society Museum and Research Center, 13692 Airport Cutoff Road, Port Townsend; Jefferson County Historical Society, 379-6673, jchsmuseum.org; jchswa.org, the online search site)

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment