LETTER: Thanks for help with chimney fire

Posted 11/29/16

We had an energizing night Saturday night [Nov. 19]. A chimney fire, the first in 40 years, but a chimney fire nonetheless.

The good news: No damage other than a bit of a mess.

More good news: …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

E-mail
Password
Log in

LETTER: Thanks for help with chimney fire

Posted

We had an energizing night Saturday night [Nov. 19]. A chimney fire, the first in 40 years, but a chimney fire nonetheless.

The good news: No damage other than a bit of a mess.

More good news: Metal roof and a ceramic chimney served as designed to protect the premises, and I was prompted to be more fastidious about chimney cleaning.

The best news: Fire crews from Discovery Bay and Quilcene were on the spot in timely fashion and in sufficient numbers in case problems arose. Discovery Bay Chief Willie Knoepfle and the crews were excellent. Fire was controlled efficiently and I was given some good suggestions on how to deal with a future situation should it occur, which I’ll pass along:

Briefly open the stove door and toss in a glass of water and close the door; this creates steam and helps damp the fire. There is a product on the market, Chimfex, which claims to halt a chimney fire. I suggested that Arrow Lumber and Henery’s order a supply; Hadlock Building Supply stocks it.

Minimize the number of elbows between the stove and chimney. These are places where creosote tends to collect.

Better access for fire trucks on a rural driveway, and more frequent chimney cleaning.

My thanks to the crews of Discovery Bay and Quilcene for their help. Chimney fire are scary business and the presence of experienced people is more than reassuring. I won’t forget your help.

NORM NORTON

Eaglemount

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment