Home saved after quick dousing of chimney fire

Leader News Staff
news@ptleader.com
Posted 1/12/22

A chimney fire in the Cape George area Sunday prompted a reminder for residents to remain mindful of chimney maintenance during the winter season.

Firefighters from East Jefferson Fire Rescue were …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

E-mail
Password
Log in

Home saved after quick dousing of chimney fire

Posted

A chimney fire in the Cape George area Sunday prompted a reminder for residents to remain mindful of chimney maintenance during the winter season.

Firefighters from East Jefferson Fire Rescue were called to a chimney fire at a home in the 300 block of Jolie Way just after 5:30 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 9.

Emergency responders found the fire in the fire box and put out the flames. Officials said firefighters were at the scene for approximately two hours by the end of the incident.

“Winter is, not surprisingly, the time of year most chimney fires occur,” said East Jefferson Fire Rescue Chief Bret Black. 

“The National Fire Protection Agency recommends having your chimney swept and inspected at least once a year,” he added. “Even if you do not use your chimney often, inspection and sweeping is important because animals may build nests in the flue or deterioration may have occurred.” 

Comments

No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here