Christian radio is risen: Port Townsend now a two-frequency town

By Nicholas Johnson of the Leader
Posted 9/20/11

Hallelujah!

Christian radio has come to Port Townsend, making it the second locally based radio station to go on the air since KPTZ-FM 91.9 launched in mid-May.

KROH-FM 91.1 – Radio of Hope …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

E-mail
Password
Log in

Christian radio is risen: Port Townsend now a two-frequency town

Posted

Hallelujah!

Christian radio has come to Port Townsend, making it the second locally based radio station to go on the air since KPTZ-FM 91.9 launched in mid-May.

KROH-FM 91.1 – Radio of Hope – took to the airwaves on Aug. 12 after streaming programming to listeners through its website since September 2010.

From a cramped apartment in the 1500 block of Franklin Street, 61-year-old Joe Mann runs the radio station, which is owned by Port Townsend’s Seventh-day Adventist Church.

“As we say, ‘If you’ve got a spiritual emergency, dial 91.1 on your radio,’” said Mann, who moved to Port Townsend in July 2010.

Though KROH considers itself a local radio station, transmission from its broadcasting tower – 2,100 feet above sea level on Blyn Mountain in Clallam County – reaches Port Townsend, Sequim, Whidbey Island, the San Juan Islands and Stanwood, as well as many other areas of northwest Washington.

“When you think about it, a small church in a small- to modest-sized town deciding to become a broadcaster is rather ambitious,” Mann said.

Aside from its Christian programming – about 60 percent of which is spoken while the other 40 percent is music – Mann said he intends to provide public service information such as changes in ferry times, weather alerts, tsunami warnings, road condition reports and school closures or delays.

“There are things we want to do to cooperate with the Jefferson County Emergency Operations Center and everyone who lives in this area, even though our signal extends well beyond the primary service area of Port Townsend,” he said.

With the help of KPTZ’s Bill Putney, the station plans to work closely with Jefferson County’s Department of Emergency Management.

The station also hopes to reach out to other Christian denominations in Port Townsend to allow them a platform to communicate with the greater community.

“Now that a little bit of the dust is beginning to settle out from the construction phase, we’re going to initiate more interaction with various churches that have things people should be hearing,” Mann said.

Programming consists of nationally syndicated programs, though Mann said he plans to narrow that focus to programs created in the northwest Washington region as much as possible.

Because the station already has been broadcasting online for about a year, Mann said, he’s been able to fine-tune the programming schedule, which includes such pieces as “Voice of Prophecy,” “Science, Scripture & Salvation,” “The Bible in Living Sound” and “Got a Minute for Your Family?”

Tune in or visit radioofhope.org to stream live or download the station’s iPhone app. Contact Mann at 379-8383.

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment