The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office, along with other Washington state law enforcement agencies, has received numerous calls regarding employment security fraud, and noted that many of its own employees have also fallen victim.
If you've found yourself a victim, here's what to do:
- Ensure your employer is aware.
- If you are a Jefferson County resident, contact the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office via its non-emergency line at 360-344-9779 to file a report. Otherwise, contact your local law enforcement agency.
- Contact the Washington State Employment Security Department to report it. This can be done by phone at 1-800-246-9763, or the preferred method of reporting online at https://fortress.wa.gov/esd/file/SecureUpload/unemploymentfraud/report.
- Report the matter with the Federal Trade Commission. This can be done online as well at identitytheft.gov.
- Obtain a free credit report at annualcreditreport.com to ensure you have no further fraudulent credit actions placed in your name. You can also call 877-322-8228.
- Determine if you need to put a freeze on your credit. More information can be found here online at consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0497-credit-freeze-faqs.
For more information and the latest press release from the Employment Security Department, visit esd.wa.gov/newsroom/update-on-imposter-fraud.