Storage unit burglar gets four-year prison sentence

Posted 8/11/21

A Port Hadlock man who went on a spree of Christmastime storage-unit burglaries has been sentenced to more than four years in prison on a felony gun charge.

Cordis Earl McBride, 37, was sentenced …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Storage unit burglar gets four-year prison sentence


A Port Hadlock man who went on a spree of Christmastime storage-unit burglaries has been sentenced to more than four years in prison on a felony gun charge.

Cordis Earl McBride, 37, was sentenced in Jefferson County Superior Court on six felony and gross misdemeanor counts July 23 after reaching a plea agreement with prosecutors.

McBride was arrested following his second flight from police after being shot twice with a Taser electroshock stun gun after running from a traffic stop on Highway 19.

The counts included attempting to elude a pursuing police vehicle, first-degree driving with a suspended license, burglary, and first-degree unlawful possession of a firearm.

Jefferson County Superior Court Judge Keith Harper sentenced McBride to 12.25 months for attempting to elude; 364 days for driving with a suspended license; 29.75 months for each of the burglary charges; and 50.75 months for first-degree unlawful possession of a firearm.

The sentences will run concurrently.


Before the plea deal, McBride had faced 10 felony charges and one gross misdemeanor.

McBride was arrested for repeatedly breaking into storage units at Mainer Storage in Port Hadlock on Dec. 16, Dec. 26 and Dec. 31. 

In some of the break-ins, police said McBride got inside storage units at the facility by unscrewing the siding.

McBride fled from police twice before his eventual arrest.

The first was on New Year’s Eve, when a woman who was the victim of an early December burglary at a unit she rented at Mariner Storage was watching over her unit and reported a suspicious man on the property.

Sheriff deputies responded and chased McBride as he fled from the scene in a Toyota, driving the car through the back yards of nearby properties before crashing the vehicle into a chain-link fence and then running off into the woods. 

Drones and a police dog were brought in to find him, with no success.

McBride had made elaborate plans to avoid being caught for stealing from the storage business when he returned to break in to more units. The license plate of the sedan used in the burglary, and other identifying marks on the vehicle, had been covered with blue tape.


Officers found .44-caliber ammunition in the vehicle and a handgun that was registered to a Kennewick man.

Video at the storage unit facility showed the intruder had used a cutting torch to remove the front-gate chain to the business and the locks on four storage units.

A Facebook post from the sheriff’s office that included a photo of the burglar’s vehicle prompted a tip from the man who was the previous owner of the sedan.

Officers found two handguns after the vehicle was seized; a loaded 9mm Taurus handgun and a .44-caliber magnum revolver.

Detectives found a Bazooker speaker tube and a television in the car that had been stolen Dec. 31 from two of the units. A cutting torch was also found inside the sedan.

A receipt from QFC found on the floor of the passenger side of the vehicle prompted police to review video from the grocery store, and McBride was seen on the video and immediately recognized by officers who had earlier contacts with him.

Investigators also removed the blue duct tape from the vehicle and found McBride’s fingerprints on both ends, according to court documents.

Less than a week following McBride’s run from the law at the storage business, a deputy on patrol in Port Hadlock-Irondale noticed a U-Haul truck run through a stop sign at the intersection of Cedar Avenue and Hayden Street.

The deputy followed as the truck turned north onto Irondale Road and the driver, later identified as McBride, twice crossed the centerline into the other lane of traffic.

McBride continued south on Highway 19, and when the deputy tried to pull him over near West Patison Street, McBride kept going.

Farther down the road, he got out of the U-Haul, jumped a fence and ran into the woods.

The pursuing deputy caught up to McBride as he was stopped by a wall of sticker bushes.


The deputy pulled out his stun gun and McBride pretended to surrender, but then tried to run away. The officer fired his Taser as McBride jumped into the bushes nearby.

The Taser didn’t make a solid connection, and McBride stood up and again tried to run away, according to court documents.

A second shot from the Taser knocked down McBride, and he was immediately handcuffed.

McBride cursed at the deputy and said he didn’t want to go to prison, according to court documents.

He also said he shouldn’t have ran away from the officer, but knew he had a suspended license “and had too many court cases going already,” the deputy wrote in his report.


1 comment on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here

  • MkultraVeteran







    STALKING HOURS $$$$$$$$



    Sunday, August 15, 2021 Report this