Section of downtown Port Townsend closed after propane leak near Swan Hotel

Posted

A two-block area of downtown Port Townsend was closed down Wednesday afternoon after someone reported smelling propane gas at the Swan Hotel on Monroe Street.

Multiple units from East Jefferson Fire Rescue were called to the scene just before 4:30 p.m. June 25.
Emergency responders found a large propane tank outside the hotel that was venting gas into the air.

The Swan Hotel is at 222 Monroe St. Port Townsend Police Department and personnel from East Jefferson Fire Rescue cleared the area and Water Street was closed from Madison Street to Point Hudson. Monroe Street was also shut down from Washington Street to Water Street, officials said.

Firefighters from East Jefferson Fire Rescue  streamed water on the propane tank to prevent it from overheating.
Officials said the tank had a capacity of more than 1,000 gallons of propane.

No one was injured during the emergency call, and officials said no one needed to be treated for inhalation of propane fumes. Firefighters stayed at the scene for three hours until the maintenance company for the propane tank arrived and fixed the problem.

“We were pleased that this incident was easily managed," said East Jefferson Fire Rescue Assistant Chief Brian Tracer.

"A strong off-shore breeze helped dissipate the propane, keeping the hazardous area small," Tracer added.
Five units, including two ambulances, responded to the call.

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment