Port Townsend Police Log | Late-night chef

Leader news staff
Posted 10/22/20

Port Townsend Police received 159 total calls for service between Sept. 14 and Sept. 20. Below are selected reports. 

At 1:14 a.m. Sept. 14, police received a report of vandalism to a vehicle …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Port Townsend Police Log | Late-night chef


Port Townsend Police received 159 total calls for service between Sept. 14 and Sept. 20. Below are selected reports. 

At 1:14 a.m. Sept. 14, police received a report of vandalism to a vehicle parked in front of the Jefferson County Democratic Party Headquarters in the 2100 block of Sims Way. 

Officers arrived at the scene to discover that the vehicle, described as a 2005 Toyota 4Runner that was decorated with signs supporting Republican candidates for office, had been egged. Police say the vandals also placed stickers supporting Democratic candidates on the vehicle as well. 

At 7:44 a.m. Sept. 14, officers were alerted to an apparent theft in the 3700 block of San Juan Ave. The reporting party told police that he was making his way to his hot tub when he saw someone rifling through a refrigerator used for storing beer. 

The suspect was described as being in their late teens to early 20s. 

The victim told police that the residents recently stopped leaving alcohol in the fridge due to missing beer.

At 11:55 p.m. Sept. 14, police received a call from a woman in the 600 block of Hancock Street who heard moaning outside of her front door. 

When she opened the door, at her feet she found a homeless individual asleep. She “shooed” away the individual and called police, who could not locate a suspect upon arrival. 

At 3:57 a.m. Sept. 16, a caller reported the scent of cooking food emanating from a building in the 2500 block of Washington Street. The caller thought it strange given the hour, and investigated the scene, concerned that someone may be “cooking meth.” 

Officers arrived in the area and noted a man was upset at the caller for “poking his head into the building” and added that he always cooks food late at night.

At 10:08 a.m. Sept. 17, police received a report of a malicious mischief and burglary in the 4600 block of Holcomb Street. According to the caller, items from the house had been thrown across the street and a pressure washer was taken along with a circular saw, and other hand tools. The total loss was estimated at $600. 

Officers also recovered a hypodermic needle on the property.      

At 12:42 p.m. Sept. 17, a caller reported that his wife had recently received a phone call from an unknown individual who claimed to be a U.S. Marshal and informed her that all of their bank accounts had been seized and a warrant issued for their arrest. 

Officers advised the caller that if a warrant for their arrest had indeed been issued, they would not call to notify them of such a warrant. At this time, police said no withdrawal or attempted access to the residence had been made by the caller. 

At 1:33 p.m. Sept. 17, a caller in the 600 block of Water Street reported their business had been vandalized with graffiti. The caller believed the vandalism to be politically motivated. Police have no suspects at this time.

At 1:36 p.m. Sept. 17, police received a report of a shoplifting from a business in the 200 block of Sims Way. The caller noted that the actual incident occurred on Sept. 11, but noticed the theft on surveillance footage and reported it to police.  

At 2:17 p.m. Sept. 17, a business owner called to report that someone had vandalized her business by writing something “rude” on the front door. 

The caller described the graffiti as being racist in nature and likely the result of a sign displayed in the shop’s window. 

At 9:21 a.m. Sept. 18, graffiti was reported at Port Townsend City Hall. Maintenance staff had already removed the purple-and-gold graffiti by the time the report was received. Police believe the incident to be related to a recent spate of vandalism in the area.

At 9:29 a.m. Sept. 18, a caller in the 2100 block of Wilson Street reported that he believed he had been the victim of a firearm theft. The rifle, the caller told police, had been taken from a workshop attached to the house the day prior. 

The victim noted that the rifle was not functional as he still had the bolt and barrel for it. The caller also noted that it was a possibility he had misplaced the rifle. 

At 7:20 p.m. Sept. 18, officers were once again called to a business in the 2100 block of East Sims Way. The reporting party, a transient individual, told police that he had left his walking stick at the business and another transient had destroyed it. Police have no suspects at this time. 

At 8:43 p.m. Sept. 18, police arrested a driver for DUI after the driver burned out while accelerating from a stopped position in front of a traffic light in the 2100 block of East Sims Way. After stopping the driver for the burnout, the officer observed that the driver was obviously impaired.

At 3:59 p.m. Sept. 19, an officer in the area of Kah Tai Lagoon Nature Park reported hearing two men yelling in the park near Chase Bank. The officer made contact with two homeless men who were drinking malt liquor. 

One of the subjects had recently been allowed to return to the park after having previously been trespassed and was quite upset when he was once again trespassed from the park. Officers noted that the man shared some colorful language expressing his thoughts on the matter.  


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment