Port Townsend Police Log | An odor most foul

Leader news staff
Posted 1/22/21

Port Townsend police received 138 calls for service between Dec. 7 and Dec. 13. Below are selected reports.

At 11:48 a.m. on Dec. 7, officers received a report of a foul odor near the intersection …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Port Townsend Police Log | An odor most foul


Port Townsend police received 138 calls for service between Dec. 7 and Dec. 13. Below are selected reports.

At 11:48 a.m. on Dec. 7, officers received a report of a foul odor near the intersection of Discovery Road and Rainier Street. The caller reported that they detected a smell on a nearby trail that they believed was coming from a dead body. Officers responding to the location were unable to locate any remains of any kind and believed the smell to have been attributable to the paper mill.  

At 2:08 p.m. on Dec. 7, two callers reported a man yelling into a megaphone near the intersection of Adams and Water streets. Officers at the scene spoke with the man, who advised officers he was passing through town and was having a tire fixed and took the opportunity to engage in some street preaching. The man was notified that a permit is required to use a megaphone in the historic district, and he elected to move on.  

At 5:07 p.m. on Dec. 7,  a caller reported loud music emanating from the fairgrounds near the 4200 block of Hill Street. The caller added that a spotlight was shining into their home, also from the fairgrounds. Officers arrived at the fairgrounds and found a large floodlight pointed at the reporting party’s residence. The owner advised he was attempting to provide light for other campers in the area. Officers also discovered the loud music was coming from a tent whose occupant had been warned previously about excessive noise. Both subjects were warned.

At 6:19 p.m. on Dec. 7, a caller in the 200 block of Monroe Street reported that a person who had been drinking had kicked his dog. Officers arriving at the scene escorted the subject off the premises at the request of the location’s staff.

At 10:13 a.m. on Dec. 8, a caller from the 300 block of 47th Street reported a dog in the street that had growled at the caller and their child.  An officer located the owner of the dog who stated they had accidentally left their gate ajar and would resolve the issue.  

At 7:08 p.m. on Dec. 9, a caller said he had forgotten his keys at a business that had closed in the 600 block of Clay Street and said he could not get into his apartment. An officer attempted to locate contact information for the business in question, but was unable to do so. The officer recommended the caller contact their landlord or a locksmith.

At 10:59 p.m. on Dec. 9, officers responded to a noise complaint about loud music coming from a party in the 600 block of Hancock Street. Officers were unable to find loud music or a party.  

At 7:02 a.m. on Dec. 10, a caller in the 1000 block of Jefferson Street said a black-clad man was holding a bag and doing something in their backyard. On further examination, the caller informed dispatch it was only a shadow and cancelled their emergency call.

At 10:05 a.m. on Dec. 11, a business owner in the 1900 block of Sims Way reported that unknown persons had been stealing planted flowers from the exterior of the business. Officers took a report of the items that were stolen and the case remains open.

At 1:17 p.m. on Dec. 11, two separate callers reported a subject yelling into a megaphone. When officers arrived on the scene, the man was engaged in an aggressive verbal altercation with another person. Officers de-escalated the altercation, then warned the subject about amplified sound restrictions in the Port Townsend Municipal Code. The subject advised he would no longer use the megaphone. Police are unsure if the second incident of someone using a megaphone was related to the incident reported on Dec. 7. 

At 7:59 p.m. on Dec. 12, dispatch received a report of gunshots near the 2000 block of Washington Avenue. Officers responding to the scene found firework debris and mortar tubes; it is believed these were the source of the sounds, but officers were unable to locate any suspects.


1 comment on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment
HarveyW Colatteral Damage

Regarding the foul odor, the stench of corruption in City Government, which is a no term limit City Council and Appointed Mayor, festers, and the smell is spreading with the shelved review of City Manager Mauro, who is not qualified as advertised. The current Appointed Mayor Sandoval and previous Appointed Mayor Stinson vetted him. Poorly. Lets just ignore the review.

Add to that the hiring of a police chief that will be expected to ignore municipal codes for parking and more. Mauro's contract and new Chief's contract and oath of office don't serve the public at all. More offensive than a fart joke.

Then there is the shutting down of upper Adams Street. There was some public input. A few months pass and the street is quietly shut down with barriers. The City Manager loves closed streets. He calls them open.

Another odiferous source is the situation with the FWPDA, which gets minimal coverage in this paper as things continue to be cloaked in secrecy. The FWPDA (a shadow City organization) seeks to lock itself in power after major ethics problems. That just stinks. The public is shielded from knowing who mis spent over a million dollars, and who donated $200k to keep the FWPDA afloat for a little while.

The Fat Smitty's dollar bill caper crew had no such protection. Corruption means getting special treatment. It just doesn't feel corrupt if you are one of the special ones.

It seems public servants all the way to the City Attorney and Council, and 3 time Appointed Mayor may have dealt what is smelt. When responsibility to the public dies, it just stinks. By comparison the paper mill is a breath of fresh air.

Tuesday, January 26