Leader News Staff
Posted 11/16/21

The Port Townsend Police Department received a total of 137 calls between Friday, Oct. 29, and Thursday, Nov. 4. Below are selected reports.

At 2:45 p.m. Friday, Oct. 29, near the 1900 block of …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in



The Port Townsend Police Department received a total of 137 calls between Friday, Oct. 29, and Thursday, Nov. 4. Below are selected reports.

At 2:45 p.m. Friday, Oct. 29, near the 1900 block of Sherman Street, an argument was reported between a man and a woman standing near a gold Suburban. The caller reported hearing the “F” word a lot. The woman told officers she was upset over the loss of a man who died by suicide.

The argument was verbal only, and both parties were composed and calm.

At 5 p.m. Friday, Oct. 29, a caller in the 1200 block of Landes Street asked for a welfare check on a man last seen on the site by a manager and maintenance worker who told officers that the man had been mentally fit enough to sign paperwork. The man was reported to a Tribal agency, and to a designated crisis responder in Jefferson County. The man was described as being paranoid. He appeared to have been contacted.

At 10:20 p.m. Friday, Oct. 29, a man entered a business in the 1100 block of Water Street and told the owner that someone dressed in all black had smashed out the window of a car parked outside.

Officers spoke to the man, who was standing on the street with a stick. The man said the alleged car prowler ran away after the act, disappearing between Water and Polk streets before fleeing in a Bronco-type SUV with a canvas half-top. The back window of the car that had been damaged had been obviously hit with a bat or stick, based on impact and drag marks. The man with the stick said he did not hit the window, and officers couldn’t find evidence to implicate the man.

At 9:50 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 30,  a caller in the 500 block of 50th Street complained that the neighbor’s goose was “tearing up the property” and eating his plants.

He threatened to shoot a gun into the air to scare the animal. Officers advised the man that was not a good idea, and they provided numerous suggestions for him as alternatives.

Animal control called the man back, but he wasn’t home. The man’s spouse took a message. When the man called back, he said the options were too expensive and that he was giving up on the issue.

At 10:30 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 30, a caller reported a motorcycle stolen near the area of Benedict and Washington streets, either the past night or the night before. The bike was a Kawasaki AOR 650.

At  9:55 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 30, a man reported that another man driving a black Infinity SUV had asked him to come up to his window. The driver was bald with a New Jersey accent, and he asked the caller if he was from here.

The man felt threatened and left the area. The man claimed to be looking for his niece, who was wearing a red hoodie.

At 1:40 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 31, a woman reported that a man near North Beach was hitting golf balls near a parking lot. The woman was yelling at the man, who she described to be about 40 years old, wearing a Mariners shirt and orange sneakers.

The man told officers he was hitting balls lightly with a 9-iron and that the woman had been on a walking trail behind the area he was aiming at. No crime was committed.

At 3 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 31, a caller reported that a dog was in a vehicle panting by the Northwest Maritime Center.

Officers talked to the owner of the dog, who was at the American Legion Hall. The back windows of the vehicle were cracked and the temperature was 53 degrees. The Great Dane was fine.

At 11:40 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 31, a DUI was reported at the 5500 block of Combs Street. The driver struck a sign and didn’t stop, and was driving in the oncoming lane. Officers observed empty beer cans in the back seat of the car.

The driver admitted to drinking, and was arrested and processed for DUI.

At 10:45 a.m. Monday, Nov. 1, a caller in the 400 block of Kearney Street called to report that a man had stolen food from the hot bar.

The man was well-known to both officers and the business. Officers found the man outside eating the evidence. The caller admitted that the man seemed hungry; the man said he “was starving” and had lost his EBT card. He agreed not to take food again.

A responding officer gave the man some hot dogs and buns and bottled water, and a Navigator put the man in touch with Believe in Recovery and the Department of Health and Human Services.

At 11:50 a.m. on Monday,
Nov. 1,
a woman in the 100 block of Hudson Street called to say that she’d been the victim of fraud by a former friend, for three years. The person now lives on Balboa Island.

Officers informed the woman that she should file a report where the crime had originated. She was simply visiting the area, and agreed.

At 5:30 p.m. Monday, Nov. 1, a caller in the 500 block of Willow Street reported that someone had forged four checks. The caller had reported the fraud to the bank, and the bank was advised to file a police report.

At 1 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 2, a caller in the 2400 block of Haines Street said there was a stray dog on San Juan Avenue. The dog was described as large and shaggy, with black fur and a collar. Every time the caller attempted to approach the dog to catch it, the dog ran away. The animal was last seen at the intersection of Blaine and Walker streets.

At 2:55 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 2,
a man in the 900 block of Lawrence Street reported that someone had unzipped his pocket and taken his wallet. The man was hard to hear due to the nature of the outdoor call, with wind and traffic noises. He claimed a guy had been following him for days, into the library and  entering the bathroom with him. Officers and Navigators determined mental health issues were ongoing.

He was advised to contact OlyCAP about housing, but the man said he already knew about OlyCAP and that “they can kiss my ...”

At 11:30 a.m. Wednesday,
Nov. 3,
a caller in the 400 block of Kearney Street reported a potentially threatening voicemail. A man said “bitch” and “die bitch” interspersed with heavy breathing. The caller wondered if it sounded like a pocket dial. The manager on duty wanted to press charges against the caller, who was known to officers as having mental health issues. Officers stated that the man’s behavior didn’t fall under the parameters for statutory crimes.

At 10:42 a.m. Thursday,
Nov. 4
, someone on the Larry Scott Trail near the boat yard reported that a sailboat named “Sarah” was possibly going aground. No motor was heard running, and the vessel didn’t appear to be able to back away from a large rock in the water.

A Coast Guard helicopter was dispatched and made several passes overhead, but since the pilot had not requested assistance, no assistance was given.

At 1 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 4, a caller in the 400 block of Discovery Avenue said a check written for $1,270 had been taken from their mailbox and edited to reflect a different payee. They saw through their online banking that the check had been cashed in someone else’s name in Fairbanks, Alaska. Officers told the caller to file a report in Fairbanks to start a case.

At 1 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 4, a caller in the 2200 block of Hastings Avenue called to report three muddy horses with wet hay. The caller stated there was a state law that mandated shelter for the animals. The wanted to remain anonymous because they were afraid the horse owners might retaliate. Officers advised the caller that horses are classified as livestock in the state of Washington, and thus are exempt from shelter laws.


No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here