Port Townsend Police Log | He's creeping me out

Leader news staff
Posted 9/23/21

Port Townsend police received 171 calls for service between Friday, Sept. 3 and Thursday, Sept. 9. Below are selected reports.

At 1:20 p.m. Friday, Sept. 3, around the 1200 block of Umatilla …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Port Townsend Police Log | He's creeping me out


Port Townsend police received 171 calls for service between Friday, Sept. 3 and Thursday, Sept. 9. Below are selected reports.

At 1:20 p.m. Friday, Sept. 3, around the 1200 block of Umatilla Street, a caller reported that two dogs had gone onto the caller’s property, caused damage, and left. The dogs had been doing so for the past year, and the caller didn’t know where the dogs lived.

An officer talked to the caller, but the dogs were not located. 

At 4:35 p.m. Friday, Sept. 3, gunshots were reported by a caller from the 2400 block of 35th Street.

The caller stated that about 50 to 60 shots had been fired within a 5-minute period, and that they were quite sure the sound wasn’t coming from a gun range.

After investigating, officers advised the caller that the shots were likely from a gun range, given the open hours of the range and the proximity to the caller.

At 8:15 p.m. Friday, Sept. 3, a woman reported a potential vandal wearing a crate on his back like a backpack in the 400 block of Kearney Street.

The man was taking food from the free food box, crawling around vehicles, and “creeping out” the caller.

The man left the store before officers arrived. No apparent crime was committed.

The woman was advised to call back on his return to trespass the man. The employee stated that she’d never seen the man before.

At 9 p.m. Friday, Sept. 3, the heat sensor alarm on a door at 1st Security Bank on Water Street was triggered.

Officers discovered an ATM maintenance tech on the site, wearing a Diebold logo shirt and carrying a Diebold company ID. The bank had apparently not been notified that he would be servicing the outdoor ATM unit that evening.

At 11:40 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 4, Henery Hardware reported a theft that occurred on 2:45 a.m. according to surveillance tape at the store.

An individual known to the reporting officer was shown sorting through carpet squares and selecting specific ones. The person also took an aluminum rake.

The total value of goods stolen is estimated to be around $100.

At 11:45 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 4, a woman with an RV for sale on the corner of the 2200 block of Sims Way called to report that her RV had been broken into within the past 20 hours.

The washing machine and dryer were damaged, and the interior was ransacked. Damages were estimated at between $500 to $1,000.

At 11:55 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 4, an employee at the Mad Hatter on Water Street said a woman in front of the store appeared to be experiencing a mental health crisis.

An officer discovered a white female, about 5-foot-6, and wearing a sweatshirt, was yelling and screaming out on the sidewalk. When asked by the officer if she was OK, she replied that she was.

At 10:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 4, a caller complained of “unreasonably” loud music coming from the pier near the 400 block of Water Street.

The responding officer found a wedding party that was celebrating at a reasonable volume. The officer was informed that the party was to last until midnight. The officer asked if they might consider turning down the volume a bit. The Northwest Maritime Center is exempted from city code, and has a noise variance that extends until 1 a.m.

At 11 a.m. Sunday, Sept. 5, an anonymous caller from the 4900 block of Landes Street made a complaint about loud music coming from a structure known as the “sound studio” at the fairgrounds. The reporting officers did not hear any music upon arrival.

The officer heard a radio that was not loud enough to be considered a nuisance.

At 6 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 5, a man from the 1600 block of 21st Street said that he may have located drugs in a case of beer purchased from Safeway.

A photo sent to the police department showed an image of a crumpled distributor tag. The man was advised to throw the tag into the garbage.

At 7:35 p.m. Monday, Sept. 6, a caller from QFC reported a man in the middle of the front register was angry about being asked to wear a mask.

He threatened to take his items and leave without paying. The man left without any items.

At 3 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 7, a caller from the 500 block of Hendricks Street reported that his front door had been damaged, and he believed the Port Townsend militia was to blame. Officers responded but found no evidence of damage or proof of attempted break-in.

At 8 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 7, a woman from the 1300 block of Taylor Street said she felt a man was stalking her. She thought perhaps she knew the man and had blocked him on Facebook, but couldn’t provide officers with his name.

She stated that the man had driven up and down her street and asked if her name was Sue, and if they had dated in high school.

When officers arrived, the man was gone. The woman was advised to contact officers if she saw or heard from him again.

At 3 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 8, a caller reported that a man was refusing to leave a business located on the 1300 block of Blaine Street. The caller felt threatened.

The man eventually left. The caller was not interested in trespassing the man.

At 1:15 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 9, a woman from the 5000 block of Mason Street reported that someone had tried to open a Chase Bank account using her deceased mother’s identification.

The bank had sent the woman a letter informing her of the fraud. She did not know which branch the fraud had been attempted at.  

At 1:15 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 9, a caller from the 800 block of Maple Street said she thought she was the victim of fraud.

She was frustrated at herself for giving out her Medicare ID and doctor’s information to a party claiming to be with Medicare, but who appeared to be trying to get her a knee brace that she was in no need of.

The caller had recently suffered a stroke and was concerned that the caller she spoke to was trying to defraud Medicare.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here