Port Townsend Police Log | Cigarette emergency

Posted 7/8/21

Port Townsend police received 183 total calls for service between Monday, June 28 and Sunday, July 4. Below are selected reports.

At noon Tuesday, June 29, police were called to a restaurant in …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Port Townsend Police Log | Cigarette emergency


Port Townsend police received 183 total calls for service between Monday, June 28 and Sunday, July 4. Below are selected reports.

At noon Tuesday, June 29, police were called to a restaurant in the 600 block of Sims Way for report of a dog inside of a running vehicle.

A blanket was draped across the front window to block out the sun, but officers told the owner it was illegal to leave a vehicle running unattended.

At 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, June 29, police trespassed a man from a Jefferson Transit Authority Park and Ride lot after he threw a glass bottle at one of the transit buses.

At 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, June 29, the same suspect who was trespassed from the JTA Park and Ride walked to the front of another bus after being asked to disembark due to his previous interaction, and proceeded to spit on a glass partition and then punch a hand-sanitizer dispenser.

The dispenser was broken and the man then departed the area. He was later located by officers who noted that he’d been hitting and kicking mailboxes nearby. The man was cited for malicious mischief.

At 10:45 a.m. Wednesday, June 30, police received a call from the owner of a hotel in the 2000 block of Washington Street asking for someone to be removed from the hotel based on the eviction moratorium being recently lifted.

Police advised the owner that the moratorium being lifted only meant that the owner could begin moving forward with the legal process for the eviction and police could not yet remove the man.

At 2 p.m. Wednesday, June 30, a burgundy minivan was taken from a grocery store parking lot in the 500 block of Sheridan Street. The caller told police that he had two dogs in the vehicle and the thief had left northbound on Sheridan Street.

The caller believed the suspect was a person who lives at the fairgrounds. The suspect eventually stopped the van and laid out a blanket and some water for the dogs before leaving them behind.

The owner of the vehicle told police he only wanted to get his dogs back and the person who took his van “can just have it.”

The caller declined to file a stolen vehicle report and he was able to recover both of the dogs later.

At 3:45 p.m. Wednesday, June 30, a caller on 14th Street reported a man walking down the street with two dogs in tow, screaming about someone stealing his van.

The caller said it initially seemed that the man was looking for his dogs, but now, with both of the animals recovered, it appeared he was upset about his van being stolen.

At 6 p.m. Wednesday, June 30, police received a report of a man sitting on a bench near the intersection of Water Street and Taylor Street, drinking a beer and yelling at passersby.

Officers arrived and found a man who was heavily intoxicated and had an open container of alcohol. As officers were approaching, the man poured his beverage out.

The man was warned for his behavior and advised against having an open container of alcohol in public.   

At 6:45 p.m. Thursday, July 1, a caller in the 4200 block of Hill Street reported seeing a burgundy minivan abandoned on a nearby street.

The caller noted there appeared to be a significant amount of damage to the vehicle.

It was determined that the van was a vehicle that had earlier been reported as stolen. The owner again refused to pursue charges. 

At 1:30 p.m. Friday, July 2, officers were alerted to an assault near a grocery store in the 500 block of Sheridan Street that had occurred the night before. The caller said she’d been walking with her girlfriend when a man wearing dark clothes approached her, grabbed her and then punched her in the face.

The caller then ran back to her vehicle along with her girlfriend. The man followed the couple and then kicked in the driver’s side window. The caller said she’d been too shaken up to make a report the night of the incident, but decided to file one the following day.

At 9:30 p.m. Friday, July 2 officers were alerted to a noise complaint in the 1100 block of Hastings Avenue.

The caller told police she was the landlord for a property and her tenant had approached the house, banged on the door, then opened it to yell about the volume of the TV. The caller said she felt it was inappropriate for the tenant to do that.

The woman told police that she’s almost deaf but refuses to wear headphones. The tenant apologized for the incident and said it wouldn’t happen again.

At 9 p.m. Sunday, July 4, a woman in the 600 block of Hancock Street called 911 for an unspecified emergency.

On the phone, the woman sounded as if she’d been drinking and she stated there was an emergency at her location, but she wouldn’t answer any questions from the dispatcher.

An officer arrived to find a highly intoxicated woman who requested that the officer go and get her a pack of cigarettes. It was suggested that the woman call family or a friend to bring her some cigarettes.


No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here