Jefferson County Sheriff's Log | Screamer in the driveway

Leader news staff
Posted 7/19/21

The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office responded to 310 calls between Saturday, July 3 and Friday, July 9. Below are selected reports.

 At 11:08 a.m. Saturday, July 3 in Port Hadlock, …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Jefferson County Sheriff's Log | Screamer in the driveway


The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office responded to 310 calls between Saturday, July 3 and Friday, July 9. Below are selected reports.

 At 11:08 a.m. Saturday, July 3 in Port Hadlock, someone at the Wooden Boat School reported a burglary. 

Multiple items were taken from a large canvas-style structure. No evidence of forced entry was found.

The burglar’s trail was followed to Curtis Street, where several items were found left behind to be retrieved later.

The case remains under investigation.

At 11:58 a.m. Saturday, July 3 in Scow Bay, a special maritime patrol discovered a vessel with an expired registration.

At 12:09 p.m. Saturday, July 3
in Scow Bay, the owner of an untraceable vessel reported earlier was contacted after an expired registration was found on another vessel belonging to the person.

At 12:41 p.m. Saturday, July 3 in Scow Bay, a boater was cited for having registration papers that were more than a year out of date and for improper anchoring.

At 1:07 p.m. Saturday, July 3 in Scow Bay, the owner of a 42-foot vessel was contacted for lacking a valid registration decal.

At 2:07 p.m. Saturday, July 3 in Chimacum, a caller said a strange woman had driven down the caller’s driveway.

The caller said the woman seemed strange. She said she was supposed to be meeting someone but forgot the address. She then left.

The woman said she was looking for someone who once lived in the area long ago, but would not provide the name of the person.

She then said she was just going to go back home.

A deputy contacted the woman to check on her.

2:23 p.m. Saturday, July 3 in Hadlock, a woman reported the theft of a catalytic converter.

The theft occurred overnight and there were not suspects.

A neighbor who had security cameras was contacted, and a review of the video showed flashlights and possible suspects on the woman’s property near a shed.

At 12:43 p.m. Sunday, July 4 in Port Hadlock, emergency dispatchers were called about an unwanted person.

A caller said she wanted a woman removed because she did not live there, and was outside in the driveway screaming.

The screaming woman then left the scene.

The caller was given options to keep her mother from causing a scene during her random, unannounced visits.

At 3:17 p.m. Sunday, July 4 in Brinnon, a caller at a private campground said someone was throwing rocks at the caller’s family.

The caller’s son and grandchild were struck by rocks while they were down at the Dosewallips River.

The assailant was described as a “redneck” in his mid-30s, 6 foot tall, with a thin build.

The man was still on his property next to the campground, and was described as “irate and aggressive.” 

The people who had been hit by rocks declined aid. One was struck on an arm by a rock, and the other was hit on the right calf. Another person was spit on.

All three said they did not want to pursue charges.

A deputy contacted the suspect, and learned it was the ex of the caller. He denied throwing any rocks, but was upset about people trespassing in the river in front of his home.

All parties agreed to stay away from each other.

At 11:35 p.m. Sunday, July 4 in Port Hadlock, a man who said he had parked a motorhome across from the Chevron gas station said someone had stolen items from the motorhome and ran away.

The man chased the thief down Chimacum Road, but lost sight of the person at a nearby property. He told dispatchers he could not find the suspect.

The property owner tried to help him find the suspect but could not.

The homeowner then called police to ask that the man from the motorhome be trespassed from his property. He said he knew the man had a history of drug use and did not want him on his property.

A deputy advised the theft victim to leave.

The theft victim later said he was unsure if anything had actually been stolen.

At 12:59 p.m. Monday, July 5 in Port Hadlock, a caller reported a dog-bite incident that had happened a month earlier.

A neighbor’s dog bit the caller’s child when her daughter was over at the neighbor’s after being invited to come over and play with the resident’s grandkids.

The caller said her daughter was bit near her jawline but she did report it because the neighbor had apologized, and said they were moving but would keep the dog tied up.

The caller said that didn’t happen, however.

An initial attempt to contact the dog owner was unsuccessful.

During a followup with the dog’s owner, the man said the only reason the neighbor was reporting the dog bite now was that the victim’s dad had gotten into an argument with the dog owner when the father was drunk on the Fourth Aof July.

The dog owner said he didn’t think the dog even bit the girl, because the wound looked more like a paw print.

A deputy said the injury looked like a dog bite. When the owner was questioned about the dog attack, the man kept changing the subject to fireworks.

The deputy left statement forms to be filled out.

At 6:32 p.m. Monday, July 5, a search-and-rescue team was called out after a hiker returning to the trailhead  of the Lower Lena Lake Trail reported being contacted by another hiker who had not seen his twin brother for six hours while they had been hiking to Lena Lake.

The hiker was reported as a 24-year-old man.

The man was sighted three hours after he had gone missing.

Another sighting followed.

A pair looking for the hiker said they could not find him, however, and the man reportedly was not outfitted for an extended stay in the wilderness. He did not have water or a backpack. He also lacked tools or overnight gear and was not an experienced hiker.

A search team was called in, and the hiker’s brother and sister were advised to come down and wait at the trailhead.

Everyone was finally located and brought to the trailhead. The father of the hikers was contacted and told they were OK and on their way home.

At 11:33 a.m. Tuesday, July 6 in Chimacum, a caller said her landlord was causing issues whenever she had visitors.

The woman was told how to obtain an anti-harassment order.

At 3:49 p.m. Tuesday, July 6 in Irondale, a caller said there was an unknown man in her driveway who was screaming and she felt threatened.

The man was described to be in his 40s.

The caller sounded intoxicated.

A deputy responded. The man was apparently angry because he thought one of his puppies had been stolen by two women who had been at the caller’s home.

After listening to both sides, the deputy found no facts of a crime had occurred. The man, who had nine “free-ranging” puppies but had lost one overnight, was given a trespassing warning. 

At 7:34 p.m. Tuesday, July 6 in Hadlock, a theft was reported at a home that was supposed to be empty.

The renter had moved out a week before, and a window-fit air conditioner was discovered missing.

At 5:15 p.m. Wednesday, July 7 in Forks, a driver on U.S. Highway 101 was pulled over at Milepost 169 and was warned about speeding.


No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here