‘Excellent response’ at school

Posted

Students were evacuated from Grant Elementary School after a boiler began to overheat for a short period of time, causing officials to praise the staff and children.

East Jefferson Fire and Rescue, along with the Port Townsend Police Department responded just before 11 a.m. May 19 after staff reported the school was filling up with smoke.

“When we arrived, the teachers already had headcounts of all the students, and everyone was already lined up outside,” said PT Det. Patrick Fudally. “It was an excellence response.”

According to a press release from the Public Information Officer Keppie Keplinger, firefighters determined the boiler had exhausted smoke when it attempted to start. 

“There were no viable flames," Fudally said. 

No one was injured, and students were able to return to their classrooms by 11:30 a.m.

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment