Port Townsend police have dropped a task force investigation into the whereabouts of Lauren Garrett, 23, after she was seen shopping at a store in Shoreline on June 3.

"Based on Lauryn’s confirmed identification by her father, the fact that she seems unwilling to contact family members, and there was no sign Lauryn was in duress or any danger, the Port Townsend Police in coordination with the task force members have determined Lauryn is no longer missing for the purpose of our investigation," Port Townsend Police officer Patrick Fudally wrote in a press release June 5.

"We would still encourage Lauryn to contact her family or law enforcement to ease her family’s concerns."

The Sequim woman was reportedly last seen May 1 in Port Townsend, apparently on her way home from Sedro Woolley. Her father, Fred Garrett, had reported her missing May 3 and police began an investigation that on May 15 included a search of the Kah Tai Nature Lagoon Park.

At 5 p.m. on June 3, a childhood friend of the Garrett family working as a clerk at the Shoreline Fred Meyer recognized Garrett when she attempted to return merchandise without a receipt, according to the PTPD.

Garrett provided identification that did not belong to her, and the store clerk, who had grown up in the same area as the Garrett family and knew Lauryn personally, confronted her about the ID, police said.

The clerk told Lauryn that her family was worried about her and she should contact them, according to Fudally. Garrett reportedly responded that she already had, however, the family has indicated they have had no contact with Lauryn since she went missing, Fudally noted.

The clerk reported Lauryn did not appear to be in any physical or mental duress.

The clerk told Lauryn she would not accept the return as she needed Lauryn’s valid identification. Garrett responded that she would go get her ID, and left the store without the merchandise and ID that did not belong to her, and did not return.

Once PTPD learned of Garrett's appearance, Detective Jason Greenspane contacted the Fred Meyer loss prevention officer and was able to obtain surveillance photos of Lauryn Garrett in the Shoreline store. Upon review of the surveillance footage, Garrett appeared to be alone when entering the store and no one was seen with her leaving the store.

Pictures from the surveillance video were shared with Fred Garrett who confirmed it was his daughter at the store, police said.

PTPD received the name on the identification Garrett tried using at Fred Meyer. The department has had contact with that person and she reported that her ID was either lost or stolen. The person had not reported the loss of her identification to police but did report it missing to the state Department of Licensing. She was encouraged to report the loss/theft of her identification to her local law enforcement agency (Seattle police), according to Fudally.

Port Townsend Police researched DOL records and learned the woman's identification was replaced in April 2014.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.